Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 rebarrel
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering about the feasibility of rebarreling either a model 99A rotory mag or 99C clip fed from .243 to .284, 6.5/284 or 338/284. Can anybody offer any insight into this project, also could you make any recomendations as to where to get this project done? If you have a guess as to what it would cost, that would help too.

Thanks for any help.

JQ

Posts: 3 | Location: SD | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 284 rotary followers are a cast-iron-b**** to find. I just had one come in the door for a 35-284 conversion. The guy said he looked for the follower for four years. The clip conversion would probably be the way to go, but I would have to give it a look to get an idea of time/cost.

Jim

Posts: 13 | Location: Eastern WA | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an article that I tracked down at my local library that is pretty helpful on this subject -
Converting the Savage 99, Robert J. Snapp, American Rifleman, Jan. 1973, pp. 26-8.

Jeff Pfeifer

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have Dennis Olson, Plains, Mt. 406-826-3790....If it can be done he can do it...It is a simple do but parts are hard to find and rotary spool assemblies are hard to locate, and difficult to re cut but it can be done...Maybe better off to sell yours and buy one in a caliber you like.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote