New
Find
Notify
Tools

NH gunsmith Ray Simard
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have experience with Ray Simard...?

He is a smith who owns Monadnock Machine in Dublin N.H.

I have heard some good things about his work and would like to learn more.

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I suggest you contact him directly and ask for references. Save the back channel approach and go right to the horse's mouth.

Good luck.

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jsl3170,

I always check both.

First the customer base....then if reports merit it a call/meeting with the individual.

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave you're absolutely right in your approach, I think one of the best benefits of the forum is to find good smiths.

No knock against the guy you're asking about (I'm on other side of the country), but any business or person you ask for references is going to give you the ones they know will say good things.

I have had work done by a few people found through recommendations on here and not had a problem yet, and that's without meeting them in person!

An example of back channel would be if you had a problem with a smith and instead of taking it to them first for resolution jumped on here and started bitching.

I did find a couple good statements about him

another recommendation on a forum

a long range hunting forum reference

Good luck!

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,

Thanks for the links I appreciate it!

From what I have heard locally Ray certainly does sound like a very good smith....

I am planning a quick drive out there to speak with him see what sort of work he specializes in & likes to do.

BTW - I will give Dennis Olson a call Thurs or Friday and get back to you.

Best Regards,
Dave

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
David, I don't know Ray, or his work, but I do know that you could do a lot worse than NECG. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Funny you should mention NECG.

I was just up there a couple weeks back and had a nice talk with Mark Cromwell. He had some amazing rifles & shotguns on display. There was one particular .375 H&H build on a precthl M98 action that was about as perfect as I think one can get. I also got a chance to really examine their claw mounts and they are of amazing quality & function.

I am going to have Mark fit me for a stock and have him do some work on my rifles. Just need to find a block of time to head back up for the fitting.

Best Regards,
Dave