Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking help Starting Blackpowder shotgun build
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted
I would like to build a black powder shotgun. What type of steel should I use for the barrel?
Sense its black powder I m thinking 1070CR would work fine. If it had black powder cases or muzzle loaded, it dosent generate the pressure for need of a stronger metal?
Thanks Guys!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I've got a black powder proofed side by side you can have cheep. External hammers, Damascus barrels. 12 gauge 2 3/4" chambers mod choke both sides
It's JABC but it's alright

As for the steel 1070 would work just fine and be easy to work with too.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're going the straight black powder route then you can get by with 12L14 as most black powder barrel makers do. If you might be shooting modern powders you can go with 4140/4130 steel instead. Personally I think the 1070 might be a little hard to machine.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
If you're going the straight black powder route then you can get by with 12L14 as most black powder barrel makers do. If you might be shooting modern powders you can go with 4140/4130 steel instead. Personally I think the 1070 might be a little hard to machine.

I have hot rolled steel readily available to me at a scrap pricing. I m guessing that would be just fine for Black Powder only.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a book called. "Recreating the muzzle loading double barreled shotgun". The project will keep you busy for a while. In short, use old cartridge gun barrels.

Second, I used seamless mild steel to makes a single barrel 4-bore (1" ID). So far it has not blow up in my face.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
You have a photo of that build?

NRA LIFE MEMBER

one of us
posted Hide Post
when I was younger my brother and I use some galvanized water pipe to build eletronic fired black powder pistol and shotgun.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote