Notify
Tools

3 axis/quill or Knee
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Hey Guys,
Looking to buy a digital readout for my mill. Plan on doing my own bases and such things as quarter ribs./ octogon bbls., and so on. So,i have pretty much decided on the 3 axis readout. Reason being, 3 axis is only $75.00 more than a 2 axis readout. My question to the smiths that have one, do you like the third axis to be on the knee or on the quill?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If I had one I'd put it on the knee, but that's because I usually lock the quill and move the knee. This provides a lot more stiffness and is the way I was taught when I was training to be a machinist. Quil travel is for drilling or boring, not milling, or so I was taught.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks TMT, that is my way of thinking,and how i was taught. But there may be something im missing or not seeing. Doesnt hurt to get all views with a purchase that is not on the cheap side, again thanks!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go with Toomany Tools, but you can also put a cheap digital one on the quill also. I find it handy from time to time.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a quill downfeed it makes better sense to put the third axis on the quill. Is very useful!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a Mill with a Knee style "Z" axis, the only rigid Vertical travel is on the knee. This is the proper spot for your readout. This is especially important if you start moving the head around.
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get it on the knee and then pick up a quill DRO. The first time you drill a hole through a barrel you will wish you had a DRO on the quill, but the knee is needed for most work.

If you go with Anilam 3 axis and then add an Anilam quill unit, you can get them synced together. That means it will give you the distance between your quill and knee, even if you are moving both at the same time. Costs several hundred more than just buying a different brand quill DRO, so you have decide if it is worth it to you. But that option is out there if you find value in it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago, i worked with a La Gunn Mill that had the Z on the knee and a battery operated quill readout. Looked kind of chezzy but worked rather well. I do like the idea of knowing where all 4 axis are at. Thanks to all who replied, very helpful...Thanks!

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I setup my Acer mill with a DRO on the quill.............best damn move I ever made.

For what I do, I find myself using the quill more than the knee and the DRO being there is so much nicer than having it only on the knee.

If a guy could have both as described above, that would be the best of all worlds.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I think that there should be a scale on both knee and quill and the DRO should calculate the distance for you. Touch your tool off and then it shouldn't matter which one you use.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys /wasn't sure if it was worth asking...good advise! Thanks Again...