THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Ralf Martini 404 Granite Mountain Work-In-Progress

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ralf Martini 404 Granite Mountain Work-In-Progress
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Here's a nifty Granite Mountain 404 being built by Ralf Martini for Jim Sherman's upcoming safari:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I like the Quarter rib,barrel profile,and stock shape.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Thanks for posting the pictures.

A few detials. As Forrest noted, the rifle is a work-in-progress and has a Granite Mountain Standard Mag. Action, 404 Jeffery.

Ralf still has some final sanding, etc and he is replacing/reshaping the original bolt before he finishes up the stock and starts applying finish.

The blank is Turkish Walnut I purchase back in 2006 from Denli.

The barreled action is going to the Engraver next week. The Bridges will be cut and set-up for Talley Rings and then action will then head to Turnbull to be color cased.

I pretty sure I am going to have the recoil pad covered in leather.

Weight of the rifle is approximately 8.5 lbs. without optics. Ralf has a Schmidt and Bender 1-4 flash dot to install on the rifle.

Hopefully, I will have the rifle heading my way in 3 weeks or so.

I am really looking forward to having this rifle in my hands soon!

Best,

jjs

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent action, great metal work, all mounted in a classic, British styled stock of beautiful walnut.

Please post photos of the finished rifle.

It will be superb, I am sure. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I thought that Turnbull was no longer c/c hardening bolt action receivers?

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking good.....at this stage you probably fill like a 12 year old kid waiting for Christmas day.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. Nice lighting job, whoever took the pictures! Almost looks computer generated!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walnut:
Very cool. I thought that Turnbull was no longer c/c hardening bolt action receivers?

I understood the same? When I spoke with him in person about a year and a half ago he said he had stopped color casing mauser actions? It may be I misunderstood and new production are excluded?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Could Doug be referring to old converted military Mauser actions?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I am really looking forward to getting the rifle and putting in some practice time, as we are heading to Masiland the day after Thanksgiving.

Ralf is really a fine person to work with and he tolerates my inexperience very well Wink

As far as the c/c hardening goes, I have no idea.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy your 404 Jeffery as much as I like the two I have!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jjs, beautiful rifle! Please post pictures when it is finished!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
What a beauty! Ralf sure makes a nice rifle. Congrats, it looks topshelf all the way.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote