THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Theoretical gun mod Browning Pump Rifle. Questions.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theoretical gun mod Browning Pump Rifle. Questions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just kind of thinking out loud here. And my thoughts may illustrate my ignorance on this subject. So feel free to point out things I may miss. And this is sort of a cross post, sorry.
So what I am thinking is a Browning Pump in .375 Ruger. That is where I am looking at.
The rifles can be had in .300 Win mag. They are much like an auto, just with a pump instead.

The reason I am looking at this is that it would make a great all around rifle. Good ballistics. Very fast follow up shots,faster than a bolt.
Tons of power with a lot of flexibility, as flexible as a 375 H&H bolt gun. And since it is a pump instead of an auto, it would feed light loads, heavy loads, or whatever.

I would be in over my head. I would have to get somebody else to to the work. But I think that would mostly be making a barrel, and modifying the mag.
So, what do you think? Impossible?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If the speed of follow up rounds is your critera, then why not the BAR. The pump, like a bolt gun, will keep you off target longer due to recoil, and having to manually work the action, whereas with the autoloader, you only need to deal with recoil. Not as accurate as a bolt gun, but faster.

Certainly not impossible either way.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My issue with the auto is that they can be finicky with ammo. Reliability issuse are not acceptable. Light loads will cause short stroking and all kinds of stuff like that. The pump will feed anything that is within specs.
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
If the speed of follow up rounds is your critera, then why not the BAR. The pump, like a bolt gun, will keep you off target longer due to recoil, and having to manually work the action, whereas with the autoloader, you only need to deal with recoil. Not as accurate as a bolt gun, but faster.

Certainly not impossible either way.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Okay, a pump. Still not impossible.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote