New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil block removal on win. mod 100
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am probably in over my head on this one,but here 'goes.New stock for said gun arrived today.There is waaaayy more carving and sanding than I had expected but the stock is alot sweeter looking than what is on the gun now,so I am gonna give this stockmaking a try.It was easy enough to remove the barrel/action assembly from the old stock,however,the recoil block?(the contoured piece that stayed on the stock that the barrel/action assembly fits into at the rear of the action.Forgive me if "recoil block" is incorrect term)has me stumped.To give you an idea of my skills,I had to stop myself from getting a screwdriver and try to pry it off.I don't have any real 'smithing tools.Detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated.Also,I could use any tips that you have on stockmaking,(not so much as to the finish,but the layout and sanding/carving part.Stock came inletted and channeled but needs alot of work for the barrel/action assembly to fit)or a really source of information.

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
That piece is held in place by a bolt that is accessible through the butt stock. Remove the butt plate and you will see it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the speedy reply!! I am still on the 'net and thought I would check my post before I got off the computer.One problem down,1000 to go.Thanks again.

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with the old stock? Is it a checkered one or is it the basket weave? I could be interested, email me?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
David,

Doing one of these is not a typical inlet. You have to be careful of the placement of the recoil block. If that is screwed up, the entire inlet can be trashed.

Did the stock come with the hole through the butt stock?

I will PM you with further info this evening if you like.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote