New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser help?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering several Mausers as donor actions (and stocks if salvageable) for a 9.3x62 project.

My choices are:

Commerical Mauser with banner, Marked "Standard Model", Thumbslot, Low swing safety, bolt altered for scope use, double set triggers and a tastfully engraved floorplate and trigger guard, with a 1950's styled stock, Monte Carlo butt, and slanted fore-end, and skip line checkering, but good wood figure, and not too many dings.

The barrel (a Douglas 6.5x57 no sights) and action appear "parkerized, the bolt is jeweled (but wearing thin), and the engraved trigger guard and floor plate were colorcase harded at one time. The floorplate is not hinged, but has a pushbutton, nad the whole floorplate with spring and follower comes out as one unit.

The second rifle is a Voere (chambered in 30-06), stock is hoplessly dinged, the action is fine, (looks like an FN)but has a tang style safety, and the barrel sports functional front and rear Two leaf sights that could be reused. I would need a new stock for this one. Standard commerical 98 hinged floorplate.

My problem is the Standard model is $400 more than the Voere.

Good commerical mausers are now selling like gold. Any thoughts as to which action may be best?

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The FN action with the hinged floorplate sounds like a winner to me. It's cheaper to start with, and by the time you put real bottom metal (i.e. Oberndorf style hinged) on the other one, you'll shell out another $75 - $300+ dollars, for a total of $700 more. The wide variance in cost of a traditional hinged floorplate bottom metal is dependent on whether you can find 1909 Argentine or 1904 Verguio bottom metal in good shape, or have to spring for the new Blackburn or Sunny Hill models.

The detachable floorplate / mag you describe sounds like a Voere model -- I've read about them and seen pictures, but never handled one.

Who cares about the stock? Most of those California rollover abominations, like you see on every "custom Mauser" being auctioned on the internet, would end up in my fireplace anyway. Spend that $700 on a nice chunk of wood.

FWIW.

Todd

[ 08-09-2002, 00:36: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Missed that part about the tang safety. If you like that, great. Myself, I would find out if it could be replaced with one of the various 3 postion models that come with a replacement shroud. Deduct $150 = $550 left for new wood.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my personal choice the Mauser , it add value to the finished rifle , the Voere it's not what I see as a good action , the last ones the hinged floorplate it's aluminium , and I found some stamps on the action and maybe it's a VZ reworked .
Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
Most of the Voere actions were Santa Barbara actions made in Spain- generally good quality. Look on the ejector side on the rear of the tang, most are stamped made in spain- or just spain.
You can replace the trigger/tang safety with any trigger/safety setup for the 98 Mauser.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all comments and help. In the end I decided not to get either of the rifles mentioned, as I won a mint 1950 FN Mauser Sporter Deluxe in 270 in a auction. This will be my basis for my 9.3x62 project.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Shadow---

A 1950 FN?? The military Dutch carbine action?

The commercials are 1948, 1951, and 1953. Some '48s are "C" ring. The others aren't.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk,

You have mail.

Many Thanks,

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent JBelk pictures of the rifle in question.

The 1950 date comes from the right side of the receiver ring were FN marked the year of manufacture. In de Hass book (1984 edition) on page 172 it clearly shows an FN Deluxe action with double set triggers with a 1952 date stamp. Of course the date may not mean diddly as to when the action was really made only when it was stamped for sale or released to the trade.

The rifle also has a "stepped" barrel countour that de Hass says was eliminated in 1952.

After he examines the pictures perhaps we can more fully identify the action.

Thanks,

Bob

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Shadow would you mind posting the picture here also?

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw,

I don't know how to post a picture here. However, here is auction URL.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4839764

You can paste it in your address bar and go and look.

Thanks,

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I saw pictures of that -- I almost bid against you if it's the same one; I noted that it had a thumb slot, and wondered if it was a military action. Sounds like a good start for your project.

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

No thumb slot, no clip guide, no side safety. Hoping for a C ring. Pure commerical FN, circa 1950 or so. We looking at the same picture? Clickee Linkee....

The more I study Mauser's, the more I realize what I don't know.

However, glad you didn't bid, it would have cost us both money. Been looking for an early FN Deluxe for some time.

Regards,

Bob