Find
Notify
Tools

% of silver for recoil lug soldering?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G'day guys.

Am putting together my 500AR project and i need to attach a second recoil lug. There is not enough meat in the barrel to do a dovetail or anything so i am going to have to silver solder/braze a lug on.

What is the correct percentage of silver i am going to need in my rods?

Have seen anywhere from 5% to 45% of silver content available here.

Was told the higher percentage of silver the lower the melt temp, is this correct?

I did a search and had seen the Brownells "Force 44" is recommended heavily, though being in Australia i don't have it available, it is 4% silver, 96%tin.

Paz

458AR & 500AR owner (yes it is done dancing )
12GFH in the pipeline(but not a real one, just a "mini one"!!
The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Force 44 would work and is a lower temp solder. Around 475 degrees F
I've also used Silvaloy 56% but it is a high temp solder at 1100 Degrees F.

I'd stick with force 44 so I wouldn't ruin the temper of the parts.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Force 44 would work and is a lower temp solder. Around 475 degrees F
I've also used Silvaloy 56% but it is a high temp solder at 1100 Degrees F.

I'd stick with force 44 so I wouldn't ruin the temper of the parts.

Mate wish i could, we do not have a Brownells here in Australia Frowner .

Paz

The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
How much room do you have? If you are only going to use solder to hold it in place, you might consider a barrel band lug set up. It would require turning a shoulder for the band and lug to contact along with the solder. I would stay away from high temp stuff.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TIG weld the lug on for a permanent attachment.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I cut a dovetail in the barrel and make the lug to fit and then solder using a 3% silver alloy solder.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
since you can't find the force 44 in Australia, try a refrigeration shop they will often use a 5% silver low melt point solder for their copper line work

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Hey Paz You pay for it. I'll ship it.
Simple as that.
I'll even order a spool and just cut off enough for you project and a bit more and ship it out.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:

You serious about tig welding..what? about 4" in front of the chamber? You'll end up with a "hard boiled egg"

Like to hear your reasoning on this

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:

You serious about tig welding..what? about 4" in front of the chamber? You'll end up with a "hard boiled egg"

Like to hear your reasoning on this

I've TIG welded lugs to barrels with no problems. In fact I have welded lugs directly under the chamber area prior to chambering with no problem. It's an acquired skill. Like anything else, you have to know what you are doing. You have to carefully prep the area so you can get in and out quickly so as not to overheat the area. There are things you can do to protect the bore. You can flood it with Aragon or like me, use a good heat control paste. You do have to normalize the weld afterwards to reduce stresses. There is a line I will not cross with regards to welding on a lug. But I would have to see the actual job to determine if that is it. What has been your experience using TIG?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know what action needs a second lug even for a large capacity cartridge like the 500AR?
A good friend of mine had a Ruger M77 MKII Mag rebored to 505 gibbs. No second lug installed on that rifle but it did come with cross bolts.

Tig welding is an option but as wespac stated you need to know what you are doing and how it will affect the barrel. and take proper precautions to prevent excessive heat.
Pre and post heating would be required. along with a back purge to protect the bore and normalizing after the fact

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wesrpac: Guess I'm kinda shy about either welding on a barrel...at least closed to the chamber; or welding on the receiver ring.

I'm just echoing opinions of a welding engineer.

If you want to be extra careful, a secondary lug such as on the Ruger big rifles would seem pretty effective

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Wesrpac: Guess I'm kinda shy about either welding on a barrel...at least closed to the chamber; or welding on the receiver ring.

I'm just echoing opinions of a welding engineer.

If you want to be extra careful, a secondary lug such as on the Ruger big rifles would seem pretty effective

Duane,

I'm a little shy myself and that's what makes me extra cautious at times. Like I said, there are lines I won't cross.

How does your welding engineer explain those successful makers of custom Contender barrel who routinely TIG weld lugs to their barrels, and directly under the chamber at that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the idea either but T/C seems to do it every day on the Encore and the Contender barrels.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A brass heat sink & purge w/pulse has worked on numerous shotgun barrel lugs in the past 25+ years.

Keep the area atmosphere free & don't raise carbon from the parent material.

Dissimilar materials will take extra heat.

TC lugs are electron beam welded.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC lugs are electron beam welded.

But not the after market barrels which was my point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not impressed if that was done with a electron beam. I could do a better job with a Tig welder. I have to think it was done that way for production purposes. I have read here that A-square ran water thru the bore to weld recoil lugs.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to know what action needs a second lug even for a large capacity cartridge like the 500AR?
A good friend of mine had a Ruger M77 MKII Mag rebored to 505 gibbs. No second lug installed on that rifle but it did come with cross bolts

The action i am using is a M98, actually it is a R.Famage action.

The stock will most defiantly be getting two crossbolts installed and a wrist pin plus Devcon bedding.

Stock I'm using is a Boyds laminate.

Does it need the second recoil lug after all?

Thanks to all those who have offered to send me over some Force 44, will keep you posted if i need it.

Paz

Colonel Townsend Whelen

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd say it a good idea but if a Gibbs don't need one why would a 500AR.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd say it a good idea but if a Gibbs don't need one why would a 500AR.

I'm going to put one on i think, be good practice for the next one if nothing else Wink.

Paz

Colonel Townsend Whelen

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yep chalk it up as a learning experience

www.KLStottlemyer.com