Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Padding Vise Jaws
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
I use a set of padded magnetic jaws. They just stick to the vise. The set I got Saturday cost me a whopping $3.99. They work well for most uses and since I only have room now for one vise they are convenient.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok all, got one of my small vises moblted to the top of my bench and have been using it to hold the stock forend. I have just been padding it with a shop towel thus far and not tightening it too tight, but this of course is a hassle as when you move it the towels falls out or gets in the way as the vise closes etc. etc. I took the steel plates off the jaws last night (vise is about 50+ years old and this was much easier said than done, had to drill one and use screw extractor to pull it out). I figured I could cut some wood blocks to put on it and make them oversize, then put some foam on there, cover in leather and tack to the back of the wood. Thoughts? Better ideas? I don't want the pads to be too thick as this isn't a very large vise and I still need room for the stock in between.

I do have larger vises, but this one swivels which is a benefit in this tight spot.

Thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Don't laugh, harbor freight. My last set lasted a year and were heavily used and abused. I usually stop in there for nitrile gloves and saw these. They have been super handy, the jaws that is.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wher'd ya get 'em?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a strip of conveyer belt on the floor in my garage- it's 1/2" fiberglass laminated with rubber. I'm going to make vice jaws out of a chunk of that when I figure out how to cut it...

I need two vises really, one for woodworking the other for metal...

What brand vise is it? Perhaps aftermarket jaws will fit- see the MSC catalog.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cut 2 3/4" pieces of plywood that are the exact width of the jaws. THe bottom of these pieces of wood are then cut out to fit over the vise where they won't fall off when the jaws are open. Then, a piece of 10 oz. leather is glued to each pice of plywood. After the glue has dried, I trim the leather back to the edges of the plywood. The leather does not mar metal parts (and wood stocks if you don't bow up on the handle) and the wood will compress the right amount where you can get a VERY tight hold on something without damageing it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's has a few different types, there are 2 with different types of vinyl/rubber synthetic facing, one is firmer, the other is firm as well, but cushier {if that makes any sense?} they also have leather pads, I use them all depending on the application, the synthetic ones are a little pricey, I think they were around $40 each pair...at any rate they work well, and are well made.
Regards--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote