New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno actions, ZG 47
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At a recent gun show I picked up two Brno rifles in 7x57. One made in '48 is a standard configuration action, nicely done as a manlicher style. It had an unusual bolt in that it is a '98 action but the bolt does not have a anti-bind guide rib on it. The second rifle, the carbine, had double square bridge configuration and a standard bolt with the bolt guide rib, made in '50. Why the difference? Both rifles are in very good shape.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
What you have are most likely small ring 21-H (half stock) or 22-F (full stock, Mannlicher) models. From about 1947-1948 they were made in standard Mauser configuration, with knurled round top receiver and bridge, bolts w/o guide ribs. From 1949 through early 50s, they were made with "double square bridges" for mounting scopes, and guide ribs were added to bolts. All I have seen of both configurations have butterknife bolt handles, most have double set triggers. Two barrel lengths were available. About 40,000 of both configurations were made. The ZG-47 was a large ring model, introduced about the same time, but most (approximately 20,000 total) were made from 1956-1962. Alf Smith can tell you all about them, as he has done on previous posts.

ZG-47 (custom stock):

21-H (made in 1950):

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are the ones. The little 7x57's are quite nice. In the other post you said you would not use one for a 404 Jeffery. Why not? Is the small ring that significant in this caliber?

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The small ring might be strong enough, but seems like the action is a little shorter, the magazine is definitely smaller. If you used a Blackburn magazine, and opened up the rails, ramp, I suppose it might work. You'd probably want to change the safety too, and of course restock. I just don't think a small ring action is appropriate for something as large as a 404, even if it would work.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote