New
Find
Notify
Tools

Demilitarized?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think I know the answer already just wanted affirmation. I recently saw a demilled 03-A3 for about $350.00. It is stated that the barrel plugged--no problem didn't want another 30-06. Bolt face plugged, big deal, I am a machinist, and bolts can be had for less than $50.00. Welded cut-off arm on receiver. Does this mean the magazine cut-off? I can work around that too. What I don't know is whether the plugged bore is welded up from the chamber back and has ruined the locking lugs. Lots of parts appear to be there--stacking swivel, front sight base, sling swivels, stock, trigger guard, buttplate.

Is it worth it??

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I did one of these years ago. I bought it in a pawn shop and it was in pristine cosmetic condition, like new. The inside was covered with cosmoline as was the inside of the barrel. When I got it home and ran a cleaning rod down the barrel, I found it plugged and when I took off the hand guard, the barrel was welded to the ring with a very small neat weld. I ground the weld off and removed the barrel, the plug was near the front of the chamber and I dont recall seeing any evidence of weld slag in the chamber area. either they were damn good, or as I suspect, they just drove a plug into the barrel. I had a new in cosmoline barrel and I picked up a new surplus bolt body for $25. I don't recall the bolt stop being welded, pretty sure I would have noticed that before the purchase. Anyway, after reparking it is a very nice looking military rifle for my collection, but I did not have a lot of money in it. I went back to the pawn shop and showed them the problem, and to their credit, they refunded half my money which helped also. I would think that if your barrel were welded in the action there would be evidence of it. If not, the reciever would be fine and with another bolt you should not have any problems, but it would not hurt to let a gunsmith look at it!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
just saw complete surplus bolts for sale from sportsmans guide I think

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finished reading the article from another source. The 03s that the 'guide has for sale have been irrepairably butchered. The bottom of the reciever ring has been torch-cut off as well as a long portion of one of the rails.

If something sounds too good to be true.......

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote