New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger "canoe-paddle" Stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want a Ruger older style synthetic "paddle" stock to use on a current production MkII 338WM. Does anyone know if a new one is available from Ruger, Brownell's, etc. or where to locate a take-off? I intend to start calling around on Monday but didn't want to burn up the entire day on the phone (if it is a hard item to find). I would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction. Hopefully Ruger has it available.

Thanks,
Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there is one on E bay........

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I searched ebay without any luck. I checked under gun parts and did a search using "ruger" but can't find it. Thanks anyway.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

Like you, I'm one of those strange guys who actually likes that canoe-paddle synthetic Ruger stock. When I picked up a newer model used stainless M77/MkII last year I didn't like the hollow-sounding modern style synthetic stock on it. I advertised right here on AR asking if anyone had a take-off they'd sell and it only took about a day to find a like-new one someone was all too glad to get rid of from their closet. I think it was $40...

Most guys seem to not like them, so just ask and give it a couple days and you'll have one for sure.

PS: Be sure to watch that it fits your .338 Win though... Some of the lighter calibers like .270/30-06 don't have the same barrel contour/thickness as your .338 does, so you may need a stock for a .338 Win. I guess you can ask the seller to take measurements for you to assure the bbl contour in his stock will fit your action. I had a .338 just like yours and it had a heavier bbl than does my '06 and it seems to me the stocks would not be quite the same - just check to be sure is all.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JD, I don't know how I missed it. I sent the seller an email asking if it is a take-off from a belted magnum. If it's from a standard long action (30-06) I don't think it will fit.

Hey 458, I never gave much thought about the stock when it was on every other Ruger for so many years (took it for granted). Now that it is gone, I want it! The beauty is in its utilitarian ugliness which is classic Ruger in my book. I have a Ruger parts book that is only a couple years old and they listed it then, so maybe a new one is still available. I'll phone Ruger Monday.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

Yep, I know what you mean - that "utilitarian" look has a certain appeal. That all-weather Ruger is the ultimate utilitarian rifle IMHO. I wouldn't blink an eye at exposing it to the most outrageous weather anywhere.

This winter I was in a snowstorm with my all-weather '06 M77/MkII and it was totally soaked... I didn't even wipe it down when I got home, just opened the action and leaned it in a corner to air-dry. The only thing I do is use electrical tape over the muzzle to keep it dry.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 rugers with the old style stock and one with the new style. 30-06 338 and a 416T with the new style. I perfer the new style for looks but the old style is just plan tough. if you would considering trading I might take the old style off my 338 and trade you If you pay shipping. The action and the first 2 inchs of the barrel are glass bedded.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:
I want a Ruger older style synthetic "paddle" stock to use on a current production MkII 338WM. Does anyone know if a new one is available from Ruger, Brownell's, etc. or where to locate a take-off? I intend to start calling around on Monday but didn't want to burn up the entire day on the phone (if it is a hard item to find). I would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction. Hopefully Ruger has it available.

Thanks,
Gary

I have one off a MK II .338WM I would part with??

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those stocks.This one is from a MKII in 338WM.It is in new condition,you can have it for $40 shipped.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Utilitarian is right but a more devious instrument for dealing recoil out from a 338 has not yet been devised in the days of man!

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey RickT said it not me! But for the 338 I have to agree with him, they are pretty brutal recoil-wise. However, for hunting where you only pull the trigger once a day they are the most indestructible stock in the world. If you do get one put a pachmayr 990 pad on it.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
Pachmyr makes a pad that fits. My smith said the hole spacing foreclosed the option of a decent recoil pad.

I like these stocks because they shoot to the same point of impact off of a bipod or with a sling.

The contrarian in me also enjoys the looks I get while out with one of these.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RayO please contact me via my email (sg.ellis@erols.com). Sounds like a fair deal to me. I'll check my email tonight EST.

tsturm I'll contact you by email tonight EST.

p dog I was looking for an unaltered stock new condition, thanks though.

Thanks guys,
Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickt300:
Utilitarian is right but a more devious instrument for dealing recoil out from a 338 has not yet been devised in the days of man!

Rick, I thank you for pointing this out. This is yet another excellent example of how utilitarian this stock is. I'm sure Ruger engineered (devised) this devious recoil into the stock as a means to conserve ammunition. I should start another thread asking how many uses this stock has (rifle stock, canoe paddle, club, prybar, conversation piece, ammunition conservation device, etc.) I'm staring a list, let me know if you think of another good one.

RayO I replied PM.

tsturm email sent.

Thanks again,
Gary