Find
Notify
Tools

MONTANA 1999 CRITIQUE (Long)
 Login/Join

<JBelk>
posted
MONTANA 1999 ACTION---

This is not a DeHaas style report with dimensions, measurements and technicalities of an action. It's more an initial impressions of a new action.

My primary focus is on the receiver and bolt and over-all usefulness of the action in custom rifles. I haven't barreled, shot, tested or proofed one of these actions……..but I would. It's NICE!!

The action I received was heat-treated, but totally unpolished as I requested. The scale was blasted off the receiver and bolt but they were raw out of the molds. The shroud and bottom metal were finished by the aftermarket suppliers. The shroud is polished and the bottom metal carries a vibra-tub finish.

As cast, the action was rough looking but was actually VERY close to perfect in straightness, squareness and fit. There was no surface that took more than .015 finishing with the surface grinder to make straight with the bore line. It's common to see other actions take more. The bolt face, inner ring and face of the receiver were square with each other "as delivered". Amazing!! (and uncommon in today's market.) I faced the receiver on the lathe anyhow, but it could have been barreled without it.

The action is a clear variation of the pre-64 Model 70. The few places it differs from the Model 70 tend to be improvements. The action has several features that place it in the company of action costing several times the modest price.

DESCRIPTION------

This action, like the Model 70 Winchester, is capable of cartridges of lengths up to 375 H&H but this one is blocked slightly to reduce it to a 30-06 length. It's controlled-round feed, long, non-rotating extractor action with a unique anti-bind feature to the geometry of the dual opposed front locking lugs. The left lug is dovetailed and the right has a small "stabilizer" mini-lug present that drastically reduces side to side play in the bolt while out of battery. Tolerances are tight as cast and bolt operation is pretty slick…….it got a LOT better with stoning.

The fascinating part is a Mauser-style inner breeching ring that's smaller than the diameter of the bolt !! This is a great feature. It offers the dual shoulder butting of the barrel shank to the receiver just like a "C" ring Model 98 Mauser AND the safety breech funnel of an early Model 70. The inside diameter of this ring is barely .625 which means it's close to cartridge head size and acts as an extension of the barrel.

The greatest safety factor of any action is in the design. The Montana '99 is a classic Mauser system that uses the rapid venting of escaping gas in a safe direction to save body parts instead of trying to seal the action against escaping gas like the push feed "rings of steel" action.

The Montana takes Mauser's design to a new height. Both sides of the receiver ring is vented and the bolt body has more vent area than a M-77 Ruger. This dumps gas and debris from primer failure (the most common) into the magazine box……..and as millions of M-98s attest, that's the best place for it.

Back to the inner ring---- This design is an innovation worthy of great praise. It makes feeding as positive as the pre-64 M-70 and the earlier M-54, P-17 Enfield and 1903 Springfields with a funnel end to the barrel in a classic "safety breech" but without the hassle of cutting an extractor slot. If things should go wrong with a case, the debris is directed back through the firing pin hole into the bolt with twin windows straight down in to the magazine box. The left overs leaks out both sides of the front receiver ring in directions unlikely to have body parts aligned with them.

Anything so excessive as to fill the left lug rail is first slowed by a gas-shield attached, a' la new M-70, to the extractor collar. Further to the rear in the left rail is a combination gas shield and bolt stop. It's a solid and strong unit capable of slowing lots of gas and brass before deformation. The last line of defense is one of the best bolt shrouds I've seen. None of the inherent weaknesses of the original Winchester design is present in this one. The Montana shroud is MUCH better designed and made than the original M-70 that tended to spray parts of melted cartridge case and small parts towards the shooter's eyes.

I would be confident in shooting this action in "Mauser Mode"……in confidence of being warned of my stupidity long before it gets to the dangerous stage.

The Montana 1999 is a VERY nice action at any price and an especially good deal at current price levels. The fact that it can be fit into a M-70 inletted stock and is, in all ways, equal or better in fit, quality and safety than it's clear parent, makes it an especially tasty offering.

Is it perfect? Not in my opinion, but it's a very good value and will make an especially fine rifle. I understand tweaking of the original design is still in progress and actions produced in successive generations should be even better. These are exciting actions and well suited for a wide variety of custom applications.

After two days of surface grinding, hand stoning and polishing, this action is as slick as a pre-war M-70 and better designed. I'll have it on my table at the Reno ACGG show next week. Stop by and fondle it a while.

-

Jack Belk

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice critique Jack.
I was down at their shop yesterday and I agree with everything you said. I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have the bolt breech like the 98 but this looks good. They are nice castings and the bottom metal is attractive. Like you, I really like the bolt sleeve. These actions are a solid value for sure and a long step above the M70 as it is made today. They may not be as nice as a Dakota but for the price of a Dakota you can buy two of these and have enough left over to buy a couple of barrel blanks from the same guys! I'm looking forward to using these actions. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is anyone as excited as I am about these actions? We almost need a thread to monitor the availability of these actions to Canadians. There seems to be significant interest up here. Thanks for the review Mr. Belk.

Ian

Posts: 39 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon Territory | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Jack, thanks for the update.

Bill, I just received Dakota�s new price list:

Classic Grade Action Model 76 - $1850
Safari Grade Action Model 76 - $1995
African Grade Action Model 76 - $2500

Ouch! [Frown]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ian:
Is anyone as excited as I am about these actions? We almost need a thread to monitor the availability of these actions to Canadians. There seems to be significant interest up here. Thanks for the review Mr. Belk.

Ian

Yes,

I'm very excited about these actions, and just might have to order one more short action, so I can build one for myself.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do I get in touch with them to get a couple of these actions ordered.
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Jack, thanks for the post... I was intending to e-mail you to get your input about these actions.

Is the rear base spacing the same as the super-long M70 @ .330"?

Do they use M70 bases?

Thanks.

BA

[ 01-25-2003, 05:40: Message edited by: Brad ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review. There is really nothing to loose to acquire one of these inexpensive actions, especially with your positive review. I hope you will have a chance to review the PH version and I look forward to reading it.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad

Just had to send back a set of Talley bases that didn't look like they'd fit. I wasn't listening close when I was told which ones to order.
Here is the email for Dan at Montana Rifle...
The hole spacing is typical of the Winchester Model 70 "Magnum" mounts, they are always closer together at the rear bridge. The rear hole spacing is .330" and the front is .862". When you order your bases make sure you tell them the "Magnum" Model 70 bases
Thanks,
Dan

[ 01-25-2003, 09:18: Message edited by: cgdavid ]

one of us
Picture of partsman
posted Hide Post
Ian: I agree it would be nice to keep up to date on these actions for us Canucks.
I have been through Watson Lake when I drove up to Fairbanks Alaska, had my first beer in the Territory in the bar there, my friend said we had to stop so that I could accomplish that notable endeavour.
Bill

Posts: 171 | Location: Poco , B.C. Canada | Registered: 11 April 2002Reply With Quote