THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tightening the action screws on Winchester M70?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Before putting my barreled action back into its wood stock, could any of you instruct me in the correct way to tighten the 3 action screws?

I do not have a torque wrench, and hopefully I can do it correctly without one.

Thanks!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Darn I've been putting rifles together for almost 40 years maybe I should go buy a torgue wrench. Big Grin Sorry just kidding.

While a torque wrench might have it place in some installs to me for most it isn't needed.

I mount the action and guard pieces in the stock. Point the rifle upwards to press the action back against the lug recess. (yes after a shot or two it will move on it's own but I like to give it a head start).

Install all three screw loose. Then tighten the front screw tight. (you don't have to be a gorilla with a cheater) then the rear screw tight but not quite as tight as the front. The middle screw just needs to be snug.

One thing I forgot if you have the three piece base you need to insure you have the proper alignment so the plate opens and closes before you tighten everything.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Paul!

My front and rear action screws are actually allen-head screws. How tight is tight? Should I feel the screw stopping or just make it snug?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
In a wood stock without pillars you would probably compress the wood with a allen wrench.

I just use an allen bit in my screwdriver and tighten then tight.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forgot to add that my stock is wood, but with pillars

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Ill throw in that when I did get a torque wrench it was a beautiful feeling to not have to guess. Click, click..... perfect.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote