New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel swap ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
so just so everyone knows im new at all of this and have never done any changing of barrels or anything even close. usually if i want another caliber i buy another gun in that caliber. my question is if i have say a 30-06 rifle and decide i want a 300win would it be as siple as changing the barrel to 300 win and thats it? if that is the case i would assume you would have to change from one caliber to another that the bolt would work with or you would also have to change the bolt out?

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The easist swap is like case different caliber like 30-06 to 338-06. Or 7mag to 300Wmag that is a barrel swap. 06 to 300Wmag is a barrel and open the front of the bolt face. Or since you have an 30-06 you could keep the barrel just rechamber and open the bolt face. Normally the bolt is opened not replaced. If you start going from say an 06 to 243 you start having magazine dimension issues.

Now I do think in actions like the Savage you can swap out the bolt head.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so say i wanted to go from 270wsm to 300wsm it should be pretty strait forward just change the barrel and go right?

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
thumb Yep.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sksshooter:
so just so everyone knows im new at all of this and have never done any changing of barrels or anything even close. usually if i want another caliber i buy another gun in that caliber. my question is if i have say a 30-06 rifle and decide i want a 300win would it be as siple as changing the barrel to 300 win and thats it? if that is the case i would assume you would have to change from one caliber to another that the bolt would work with or you would also have to change the bolt out?

Yes you need to change bolt too, as the bolt face is a different dia.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote