New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone do Fake Color Case on Aluminum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would love to get some AL parts done... Anyone you can recommend?

I wouldn't even want to try it myself, as I want it to look good! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I would contact some companies that specialize in custom anodized finishes. Maybe someone who does custom finishes for paintball guns. I've seen some pretty trick finishes over the recent years on aluminum.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea, Westpac! Thanks. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also try some of the companies that do "dipping" or water transfer process.

like you see the Camo on the Archery bows and Game cameras.

I haven't seen one that looks like CCH but will
ask.

I use it to dip Laminated Thumbhole and competition stocks we make for the Tikka T3
and it looks great, especially the "Black Carbon Fibre" look.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The water dip process would be interesting, but I wonder if there's a big enough market for faux CCH coloring to develop it? Good idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Shot Hunter:
The water dip process would be interesting, but I wonder if there's a big enough market for faux CCH coloring to develop it? Good idea.

That is the question.

I am not sure the market is big enough.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The material to water dip is basically a special decal that float on the surface of the water. there is no developing to process it already done. They take camera ready art work and create (print) the image on to the film. then float it on the water and dunk the part.

So as far as development goes... Do you have a good picture of CCH??? that is the only issue.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Turnbull would let me borrow a photo... At any rate, who does it on a custom basis like you describe? Any links or prices?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No one makes water transfer CCH. I've begged a number of companies to develop it and I would pay all start up costs as i'm sure I could sell a ton of it for old post 64 Winchester 94 rifles.

It simply doesn't exist...........

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoyB:
No one makes water transfer CCH. I've begged a number of companies to develop it and I would pay all start up costs as i'm sure I could sell a ton of it for old post 64 Winchester 94 rifles.

It simply doesn't exist...........

If their is a market for it, then they will do it.

I am surprised they said "No" to someone who will pay the set up costs.

I'll ask the question of my suppliers and see what the answer is.

Re Turnbull, I think the last thing he would do is give a photo out that is being used to create a direct competitor to himself and his process at vastly cheaper prices.

RoyB
Send me a PM, happy to work on this together if you want and see if we can get it going.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason for the ellipsis (...) at the end of my Turnbull suggestion was that it was kind of tongue-in-cheek, but acquiring a high quality photo of someone's CCH is manageable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Shot Hunter:
The reason for the ellipsis (...) at the end of my Turnbull suggestion was that it was kind of tongue-in-cheek, but acquiring a high quality photo of someone's CCH is manageable.

Understood.

re the photo, I agree getting a good photo is easy, but getting one where the pattern is big enough might be harder as it is not something that we can just duplicate to create a bigger pattern.

Even with manipulation in photoshop, it still has to look perfect without any joins.

The other thing is, different guns / manufacturers have different CCH, ie Rigby often had a greyish tinge to it, Holland nice Blues etc. Some had more Reds in them.

I am sure original Winchesters had a similar bent in terms of colour.

Anyone care to htrow up some pics or links to original CCH on Winchesters that they think are representative of what they should look like ?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The problem is not photo quality but quality of the finished part. It is actually a very crappy finish. Camo patterns done with this stuff look like an out of focus picture.

What do you think CCH would look like.

Now if you really want to dip a Win70 or Win94 let it for god's sake be hot blue salts.

Please reserve this treatment for something more cheesy and expected to be that way like a AR15 or a shot gun.

The problem with aluminum anodizing is the color. Every color need to be applied separately and in so doing requires masking. Anodizing itself is a very labor intense process. More so then hot salts. and multi color is a royal pain.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The crappy finish is only because the original photo is crappy - they only put on what is given to them.

Some of the finishes are not crappy or out of focus.

If the demand is their, why don't you offer a hot blue salts service ????

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Out of focus may be the original photos quality but there is no escaping the stretch that occurs.

put it this way. If i were to be looking at a rifle and noticed this finish applied to it in a CCH finish. I'd deduct the cost of refinishing from the asking price and make an offer maybe. I would most likely pass pointing and laughing.

There is a time and place for this type of finish and CCH is not one of them even in a Faux finish. I think it would look as tacky as a stamped steel toy with the people painted on the side.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Ruger Vaquaro has an applied finish. But I've not been able to find out how they do it.

I'll contact you about moving this forward.

Btw as far as quality is concerned I've seen some amazing carbon fiber look and turned metal with this method

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Out of focus may be the original photos quality but there is no escaping the stretch that occurs.

Well, I have here in front of me, just arrived an F Class Stock for a Tikka dipped in "Red Boa" which is a snakeskin finish, mostly red and black.

now if anything is ging to look crap it would be a stretch snake skin and this looks good.

I also have received quite a few of the stocks we make for the Tikka 3 and other actions, all finished in Black Carbon Fibre. They also would look awful if they stretched because the pattern is so important to the Carbon Fibre "Look" yet they don't.
I have also sen the Carbon fibre look on motorbikes (in particular a Red Dicati) and it also doesn't look stretched.

Some of the "metal" finishes I have seen pictures of are superb.

I'll try to get some pictures up here and people can decide for themselves.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Then someone is using a different technique. Or they are just paying better attention when applying. Good to hear either way. But I still think this finish has it's place and on a bolt rifle trying to mimic a classic style finish isn't it. But to each his own.

Ruger does use a process as a surface treatment but it is not a coating, applied film etc. They modified a CCH process for the coloring only.

Either way For me if it's not on a Tactical rifle in Camo or a shotgun in camo. It would only cheapen the rifle looking gaudy and tacky nearly toy like. Not my cup of tea.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Then someone is using a different technique. Or they are just paying better attention when applying. Good to hear either way. But I still think this finish has it's place and on a bolt rifle trying to mimic a classic style finish isn't it. But to each his own.

Ruger does use a process as a surface treatment but it is not a coating, applied film etc. They modified a CCH process for the coloring only.

Either way For me if it's not on a Tactical rifle in Camo or a shotgun in camo. It would only cheapen the rifle looking gaudy and tacky nearly toy like. Not my cup of tea.

KC

I tend to agree, I am also biased as I like "original"english guns, not refurbished cheaply.

I wouldn't use it on one of my guns but if someone else wants to do it, so be it.

I did a search on the Ruger's, you are right, they seem to have been able to come up with a cheap way of colouring but reading some things, it didn't last long.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
T/C uses fake (chemical) CC coloring, too.

I don't know what processes Ruger or T/C use, and guess they would already be doing it if they worked on aluminum.

But the type of results they achieve would be acceptable for this project and for many other folks' guns, too, I'd bet. Not the neatest, but acceptable on "workin' mens'" guns. beer

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The working mans gun... Well I have to disagree again.
There is nothing better then seeing a shotguns action polished bright silver due to years of handling where the color case fades from near perfect to completely polished and gone. That to me shows the gun was used and caed for.

There are some that insist on a perfectly finished firearm. I my self love the look but how long is the firearm expected to stay that way if used.
HAving a beautiful gun is one thing, Having a beautiful gun on a hunt is another.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kc,

Disagree with everything - if it's your prerogative. Sheesh.

I like some of the same things you mentioned. So....

Just how do YOU propose to put them on inexpensive aluminum parts/guns? Seems your first suggestion wasn't exactly true?

Can't you be helpful or just let this lie?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting idea. Might try some of the knife builders. I have several with Al bodies that have pretty exotic looking anodizing (also works on Ti). Most of the builders outsource this work but I don't know who does it. Might try Dave at Protech and see who does his.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not try a custom car airbrush artist? I'm sure they could copy a good example.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote