New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing a 336 from 30-30 to ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an older Marlin 336 in 30-30 which I would like to convert to a larger bore rifle. Perhaps a 35 or 444. Is this practical or too much cost and effort? I am hoping it is a simple barrel swamp and maybe a little rail work.
Anyone done anything of this sort?
Thanks
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
38-55 or 375 winchester will not need a new bolt. 444 or 45/70 will need a new bolt in addition to the barrel change and carrier modification/replacement.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Frank, just sell ypur rifle, and buy what you want. That is the cheapest way to get there.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Frank, just sell ypur rifle, and buy what you want. That is the cheapest way to get there.

Keith

Have to agree on this one.
Not near as easy as a bolt rifle to change caliber

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I won't go with the bolt change but the .375 might work. I have not found any pre-safety 375 rifles recently and since I like to shoot heavy for caliber I was thinking the barrel replace with maybe an octagon would look good and fill the twist rate issue.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
Thanks guys. I won't go with the bolt change but the .375 might work. I have not found any pre-safety 375 rifles recently and since I like to shoot heavy for caliber I was thinking the barrel replace with maybe an octagon would look good and fill the twist rate issue.
Frank

Sounds like enough good reasons to go ahead.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
Frank

Be careful if you try the 38-55. It is an ancient design that can result in a chamber neck too small for a loaded round when the bullet diameter reqd is as large as .380.

I do not understand why people think it is hard to convert a 336 to something else when the gunsmithing forum is always stuffing a .404 Jeffery into a run of the mill 98 Mauser.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
An octagon barrel is as good a reason as any to go through the head ache. That being said, it would be easier to sell a .404 in a 98 easier then a converted 336 or at least the 98 would be worth more to me. But 336 in any decent caliber with an octagon barrel. It would be a coin toss

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Checkout http://www.35caliber.com/, Jess Ocumpah, he did my 3030 to 356 Win rebore.

What rails?? No rails in a Marlin 336 and ALL the parts to change are available at Brownells, Midway or Gunparts.

I depends on how much you mean by "on the cheap". I bought 444M and 45-70 Marlin OEM barrels, carrier and bolt, mag tube and the necessary other parts from Gunparts, Midway and Brownells...I will have about $350 in parts by the time I'm through but will have a "switch barrel" Marlin when I'm through...356W, 444M and 45-70.

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is have it rechambered to 300 Savagege, 307/308 or 308 Marlin Express(300 Savage in drag).

You DO need to do some milling/lathe work and know a bit about gunsmithing.

Short answer...sell it and buy what you want or send it to Jess...for about $275 he will do you any number of calibers...talk to him or Clearwater reboring.

Luck

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Reboring is the cheapest major conversion you can do. The old 35/30-30 was a popular rebore back in the corrosive ammo days. No real headache to feed and good bullets abound. IIRC you can reach and even exceed some 35 Remington loads.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
An octagon barrel is as good a reason as any to go through the head ache. That being said, it would be easier to sell a .404 in a 98 easier then a converted 336 or at least the 98 would be worth more to me. But 336 in any decent caliber with an octagon barrel. It would be a coin toss

Yeh...I'd like to buy a M336 in .338 Marlin, but haven't been able to locate one around here.

That would be an interesting conversion.....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Frank get a Marlin 444 then rebarrel to 375 JDJ or 375x444. Then you'll have a real powerhouse

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have converted Marlin 30-30s to 40-65, 45-70 and 38-56; it takes a lot of work on the receiver, carrier, lever, loading gate, mag tube, etc, so better off getting the big one first. But for a 38-55, all you will need is a barrel. No one uses the old .379/.380 groove barrels any more; they are all .375, so the chamber neck diameter is not an issue; just make sure your reamer is the right diameter. I like the idea of a 375 JDJ, which BTW is the same case capacity as the old 38-56 Win and I use the same loads.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But for a 38-55, all you will need is a barrel. No one uses the old .379/.380 groove barrels any more

If he gets one of those left over Winchester barrels from the spare parts houses it will have the oddball dimensions.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extra ideas. I looked into rebore and re barrel but have decided that a 35/30-30 is not a big enough advantage. The .338 Marlin might be good based on the variety of bullets I can buy or swage but again, I think I am stuck on bigger is better. My not knowing enough about gunsmithing or what needs doing forces me to forgo the ideas of the 40-65 or 38-56. I found a 38-55 rifle but the price was a little too high.
I have decided to sell this one and wait to find another .444. I already have dies, brass and bullets galore along with rings and mounts so I just need to keep looking and try to keep some funds in the bank for the day I find it.
This one will go to classified as soon as I get some photos made.
Frank