New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a kimber from WSM to SAUM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can Kimber WSM rifles be converted to SAUM by just rebarreling, or would their be action and box work involved as well?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A better question would be, why would you want too?

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
A better question would be, why would you want too?

I have in mind the 7mm SAUM, which has about the same case capacity as the 280 improved. The 280 improved seems popular in $2,000+ fly-weight rifles. I'm really not a huge fan of high velocity magnums. However, the 7mm SAUM might be up my alley. Question answered, although I'm still looking for an answer to my orginal question.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look up the OAL of both cartridges and if any alteratiions to be made,or if can be,your answer should be right there in the OAL of each cartridge to start off with. VAN

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Essentially, they're the same case. Just the SAUM is a tad bit shorter in the headspace and overall length than the WSM. If you buy the Kimber in the .300 WSM or the .270 WSM, you would just have to rebarrel to get your 7 m/m SAUM. I can't forsee there being any feeding problems unless the original cartridge wouldn't feed well. I could only see advantages in that you would be able to seat the bullets out a little more.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be a lot easier to just buy a 8400 in 7mm WSM. Kimber will take care of a rifle for you but if you change the barrel you own it!

Now if you don't handload then perhaps you don't want the little extra power that the WSM has but if you do its a piece of cake to load any cartridge down a little.

Here are the starting loads from Hodgdon for 140's from the 7mm WSM.

140GR. NOS PART (Starting Loads) DIA. .284"
COL: 2.850"
RETUMBO 69.0 2888
47,100 PSI
H1000 69.0 2995
53,400 PSI
H4831 62.0 2957
53,600 PSI
H4350 58.0 2979
53,700 PSI
H414 57.0 2983
55,700 PSI
H380 55.0 2890
53,800 PSi
VARGET 51.0 2909
54,100 PSI
H4895 49.0 2873
54,100 PSI

Those are less than the maximum loads for the regular 280 Rem.

Data

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Apparently, I didn't look close enough, I didn't think Winchester made a 7 m/m WSM but, they do. If you haven't already bought a Kimber in another caliber, and you really want the 7 m/m SAUM, just buy it in 7 m/m WSM, pull the barrel and set it back a thread or two and rechamber to 7 m/m SAUM. That is, of course, if you can't get Kimber to chamber one for you in the REMMY.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
Apparently, I didn't look close enough, I didn't think Winchester made a 7 m/m WSM but, they do. If you haven't already bought a Kimber in another caliber, and you really want the 7 m/m SAUM, just buy it in 7 m/m WSM, pull the barrel and set it back a thread or two and rechamber to 7 m/m SAUM. That is, of course, if you can't get Kimber to chamber one for you in the REMMY.

The WSM case is slightly fatter than the SAUM case, so setting the barrel back wouldn't work. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Matt - Those different dimensions you quote are absolutely immaterial. When you set the barrel back to allow cleanup of the longer 300WSM, the dimensions will change anyway due to the taper of the case/chamber. When you re-chamber, there will be no real difference in the shortened 300WSM chamber that the .300SAUM reamer won't cleanup. Check out Steve's pages for the dimensions and you'll see what I mean. These dimensions are only SAAMI spec anyway and actual dimensions will vary .002" - .004" anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no common sense reason to get a 7mm SAUM.

Just find some other cartridge that shoots the bullets that you want to use. Kimber chambers rifles for the 7mm-08, 7mm WSM and may chamber the 7mm RM soon.

To replace a barrel on a new rifle makes no sense. Besides I would much rather have a 7mm-08 or 7mm WSM anyway so I do!

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The point I was making is that there is no other reason other than just wanting to. The 7 SAUM is much rarer round than the 7 WSM and performs slightly less well. Brass for the 7 SAUM is going to be as hard to find as the loaded ammo. The 7 WSM will do everything the 7 SAUM will do better and without having to spend hundreds of dollars rebarreling etc..
But hey it's your money do what floats your boat.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote