New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmiths who arent ffl holders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
how many gunsmiths do not have a ffl. does a person need one to buy and sell from and to private parties in thesame state, what about doing work not on serial # parts ,i have heard of a few stockmakers and guys that do bluing and no ffl, what are the laws, anyone....

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Yes a gunsmith does need an FFL. Unless he is fixing your gun "while you wait", he is required to record the gun's serial number anf other info in his record book along with the date he takes it in, and the date he returns it to you. At least that's what it was 15 years or so ago when I gave up my FFL. If anything, rules have become more stringent.

Those garage and basement gunsmiths that take in work for others, and do not have an FFL, probably also don't have a tax number, or state permit, and are violating the law on many levels.
The problem for us is,if one unhappy customer decides to rat him out, he gets raided, and he is in possession of one of your guns, you can kiss it goodbye.
He could get busted for gunsithing/dealing without an FFL, Federal income tax evasion, state tax evasion, state permits, zoning laws, and possibly local taxes, depending on how big a prick the DA is.

[ 02-08-2003, 05:43: Message edited by: Pa.Frank ]

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to this site to see who needs to have an FFL. It is better to get the info first hand than to have it interpretted by some unknown.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/index.htm

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a firearm over 24 hours it needs to be logged in and you need to have an FFL. If someone is mailing it to you, and you can still get it out within the 24 hours you need one to receive it.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote