New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 ACTION
 Login/Join

<AK-HUNTER>
posted
I HAVE A 700 VSS IN .223 I WOULD LIKE TO PUNCH IT OUT TO A 22-250.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO ??
ISN'T THIS THE SAME SMALL ACTION?? OR IS IT DIFFEREN'T THAN THE ACTION IN THE 22-250 AND THE 308 ETC.?? THANKS FOR THE HELP-- MORGAN (SON OF AK-HUNTER)

posted Hide Post
Morgan,
It is the same action. You'll have to re-chamber the barrel, open up the boltface, and probably need work on the rails and magazine to ensure proper feeding.
Other options are to re-chamber to .223 Ackley Improved for about 5-10% more velocity. You can still use .223 brass (and ammo in a pinch) and you don't need the other work.
Dies cost a bit more, but I've only heard good things about the .223AI.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Step one, trade your M-700 for a short action, medium bolt face M-700. Seriously, it is not worth the trouble and money to change the action from small diameter cartridge to medium. Start with the medium.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Morgan -
I have to go with scot on this one. Trying to do a similar project, I ended up with at least as much money, and a whole lot more time in trying to make the short action/ small caliber into a short action/medium caliber as I would have by starting with the medium action in the first place.
R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I agree with Scot. Opening up a .223-size bolt face to fit the .22-250 is an exercise in reverse-economy. It'll be cheaper and more feasible to trade-in your .223 for an identical rifle in .22-250.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on who does the work you are likely looking at around the 80.00 mark to open the boltface and install a Sako type extractor. I think it would also be necessary to change the mag follower and possibly the box. For a rechamber I don't think it's worth it. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
On top of the bolt face work, you'll have to change the mag & follower. The mag has a block in it for the smaller/shorter 223.

Either live with the 223, or trade/buy a 22-250.

MUCH more work than it's worth to do the conversion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One more thing I'd like to add. The small bolt-face Remington 700's,222,223,222 Mag and the .17 are considerably harder to find on the used racks than the .473 bolt face rifles. Leave your 223 as is and get a 22-250.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<AK-HUNTER>
posted
OK-- THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS...
I HAVE DECIDED TO KEEP THE 223 AND SAVE UP FOR THE 22-250.
I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED THE 223 FOR THE CLOSER IN STUFF. BUT WAS GIVING UP ON THE 400 + SHOTS. THANKS GUYS... MORGAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for more range, why not go with a 6mm. It will be better than a 22-250.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
rembo & DaveC both have very good points. I wanted to build a custom 223. After looking for a year & a half for a used one, I gave up and bought a new one. And the advantage you'll gain from going to the 22-250 over the 223 may not justify the expense. If you need more oomph, think about a 243/6mm Rem type instead. You'll be well outfitted for most any varmint situation then.

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think about a 240 weatherby?? I have a shot at one that a buddy is getting rid of. I think it would be a great all-round varmit rig... MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote