Find
Notify
Tools

Leather Covered Buttpads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Who does leather covered buttpads, and can a small 1/2" decelator pad be done. Seems like i ran on to this somewheres, but can not remember where. Names and web sights would be of great use, and do you have any done and what is your take on these? Thanks on any info you can provide!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Champlin Arms does these. I haven't seen one, but I think some folks have had them do double rifles. I think it's champlinarms.com.

Also, David Trevallion is supposed to do a great job on these per some people on the Shooting Sportsman forums. http://www.gun-vault.com/

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I do. 1/2 pad is no problem.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at mine, I would have to say Bill does a fantastic job of them. They are very classy and functional - rifle just slides right into the shoulder. I still marvel at the fact that I am completely unaware, when firing the rifle, of the two dowels plugging the screw holes.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have had Duane Wiebe and Kathy Yale both do leather pads for me, and would not hesitate to use either.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3843 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Does a leather faced pad have any function or is it purely cosmetic? I seen somewheres, where one was being put together, but can't remember where I've seen it. Would hunting in the rain give you any problems? At the moment I'm just kickin it around.
Some pictures would be nice!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the answer on that also!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could post a pic - my brother has my rifle that Bill did, getting ready for deer hunting.

The official line is that it allows the pad to slide over your shirt / parka / tweed jacket, to come up to your shoulder quickly and smoothly. We all know that is a bunch of BS unless you are hunting grouse with a SxS, the real reason is it looks sexy and is a nice touch. I am not sure it is particularly more durable than a rubber buttpad or a case colored metal one, for example - just easier to refinish with some saddle soap, leather dye, and oil. I have seen a few with honest use marks, mine also has a couple - I think it adds to the look personally.

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dennis smith the stock doctor
the dalles in oregon