Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock ?
 Login/Join

posted
i put a new stock on my rem 700 it is a high tech specialties fiber glass stock i really like the stock but the problem is there is to much flex in the fore arm when i shoot off of a bi pod the stock flexs up and contacts the barrel which takes my groups from half inch to inch and a half groups the stock has been glass bedded the full length of the barrel channel. so my question is is there any thing else i can do to stiffn the forearm up so that i dont have this problem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears your stock is too flexible. You say the barrel has been full-length glass-bedded. That would seem to be the entirety of your problem. Because the entire length of the barrel is bedded, any flexing of the stock is going to be transmitted into the barrel. A proper bedding job leaves approximately .030 inches of space between the stock and the barrel; certainly enough to allow the proverbial dollar bill to be wrapped under the barrel at any point along its length and ahead of the breech diameter. I'd say you might need to look into another stock, something like a MacMillan A-4 or A-5...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey guys....

I have read about, and am going to do this to my 300 RUM Sendero. The 300 has a ultimate varminter stock on it now, weighted with lead. Total weight is 19.5 lbs., perfect for long range prone or bench but a little heavy for general packing.
I bought a 2nd hand, unused REM syn stock for it.
The deal is, you get two pieces of arrow shaft, (I am going to use 3/8's O.D. S.S. tubing), cut a trough for each piece, from swivel back to the thick part before the lug. Make the trough just deep enough to get the shaft so that there is going to be good coverage of bedding compound. I am going to use marine-tex, or Devcon.
Put compound in so that shafts can go in, but not overflow, insert shafts, then more compound as needed. Finish as usual.

I may add lead to the tubing, depending on weight of the rig. I haven't tried the bbl'd action on the stock yet.

Hope this helps,
archdlx

p.s. ..just reread your post Morgan, you will have to mill, or somehow 'chew' the troughs for the shafts Frowner

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote