One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
Here is what I have so far...
Intregal barrel that I turned myself
Interior of action polished
Bolt completely stoned and polished
Blackburn bottom metal
Getting ready to suface grind outside reciever and make square bridges for Talley rings. Will make my own front and rear site for barrel. Plan to have reciever/bolt heat treated.

Can't decide on a bolt handle, trigger, 3-position safety. I'd like to see pictures you may have showing and naming those parts. I'm thinking Gentry 3-postion safety, blackburn trigger, Glim 3 panel bolt?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
That bbl has a BIG hole in the end.. What's the cal. again?.. Very nice work.

Rich

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
You are very good!!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Can't wait to see it finished.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice, strax! I'm guessing you will have it heat treated after all the final metal work done? Are you concerned at all that the heat treat may affect the polishing you've done on the bolt?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You said you wanted a photo of a Blackburn Trigger. Here is one.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind comments.
The Barrel hasnt been crowned so there is some tailstock damage... Wink
After the heat treat, I'll polish back up, should be easier and less metal removal second time around!
Thanks for the photo 22WRF, that must be the steel one. What do you think of them as to a Timney?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
butter knife bolt handle !

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Thank you for the kind comments.
The Barrel hasnt been crowned so there is some tailstock damage... Wink
After the heat treat, I'll polish back up, should be easier and less metal removal second time around!
Thanks for the photo 22WRF, that must be the steel one. What do you think of them as to a Timney?

That's a nice rifle!

For me, they feel about the same but I really prefer the location of the trigger on a Blackburn. It sits farther back like a shotgun trigger and is finished a little nicer.

The Kepplinger is another option. On a high-end effort, it looks nice. The blade is nicely sculpted and gold washed if you like that type of thing. The wide blade may require some fitting into some trigger guard slots. This one is a single set trigger; they make a double set that is self-contained and doesn't have to fitted as carefully as the original kicker type.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me, they feel about the same but I really prefer the location of the trigger on a Blackburn. It sits farther back like a shotgun trigger and is finished a little nicer.

Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for!

I'm draging ass as I write this, I'll answer PMs when I get past 2 more shifts, Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any updates on this project?

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact it took a little road trip to the state of Washington. Big Grin Got home late from work and found out my little package is at the p.o./ and I'm off for 3 days!!! clap

More to come at a fourm near you...

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I bumped into a Mex. 98 the other day. Still in battle dress.
At Cabelas of all places.
I bought it.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Tinman, Well Butch and Terry got the ball rolling when I seen there's comeing together. Then found one here on ARBay, and I realy like it, think you will too!
Want to take a moment and thank Mr. Weibe, he had a 4 panel Glimm handle and I bought it. I havent come up with a welder for the shop yet and asked him to weld it up for me. Done a real nice job, and also made a 4th locking lug out of it. I like it!!!
I also want to thank Magie, with Blackburn/CNC Products. She knew I wanted a Blackburn trigger (steel) and she called around and found someone with an extra and he sold it to me. Thank you Kevin, and Thank you Magie.
Tomarrow is my grandaughters birthday and if there are any batteries left I'll try and post a picture of bolt and trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SRTRAX

Where is that photo of the bolt and trigger? fishing

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where is that photo of the bolt and trigger?

This is the bolt handle that Duane Weibe welded on for me. See how notch for handle has been deepened, acting as a 4th locking lug. Makes for a nice set-up!
I went with an Ed LaPour safety that I had on hand, not finished but looks good!
New camera, trying to figure it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking good - what is the caliber?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote