New
Find
Notify
Tools

Helping out a Rem 740
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a buddy that wants to get his Grandpa's old Rem 740 30-06 fixed up a little. His idea is to get it fixed up a little for his dad to use in his last years of hunting and then inherit it back. So I guess you could say even though this is not his choice of rifles, it has alot of sentimental value.

The rifle did not go bang on a buck last year due to being dirty. Oh Noooooooooooooo

Does anyone know about how much it would cost to get the action cleaned and inspected, action springs replaced, barrel thoroughly cleaned, and the wood stock stripped and refinished, and a trigger job(???) done? The wood is not in real bad shape, just minor dings and scratches. He may also be interested in having his father's name or initials engraved in the metal somewhere.

What is a good scope mount system for a Rem 740?

Assuming the barrel is cleaned properly and not damaged, what kind of accuracy could one expect from a good ol jammamatic?

Any help with estimated costs, ideas and sources for this work is appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 77 | Location: TN | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
StikR---

The 740 rifles were rust blued at the factory and the polish was very well done. So was the wood. If you truly want to restore the gun that should be kept in mind. A buffed and hot dipped 740 is just another ugly reblued rifle.

There's nothing to do to make the trigger better....they're long and creepy by design.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,
the finish on the metal is in good shape. I really don't think it needs to be refinished. The stock is not too bad either, but he wants it to look better. What do you think about the action springs? Can the trigger be replaced with an aftermarket? In your opinion, where on the metal would be an acceptable place for his dad's name to be engraved? This gun is in overall very good shape considering its age and being drug around the Tenn hills deer hunting for years. I don't think it has been shot very much. Thanks for your advice.

Posts: 77 | Location: TN | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
StikR--

There's only two replaceable springs IN a M-740 and neither has a history or reputation for going bad.

You're stuck with the trigger. That Crittenden "Common Fire Control" trigger group was designed for a shotgun (11-48) originally and then became the standard for all pump and auto Remingtons. There' about 23 million of them in use. They depend on a long hook with a "recapture angle" for securiety......and they aren't always that. DON'T mess with it.

If you don't want the metal refinished the engraving is out, unless you take it to a trophy shop and have them use a pantograph on it. The other alternative is to inlet as small plate in the stock with an inscription.

Any stock finish that's put on it will improve the factory finish. The original RKW gorrilla snot was pretty fragile and allowed water to enter the wood under the finish. Most have dark stains in the wood from rainy days in the woods. That finish should be stripped completely since it doesn't mix well with others.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
StikR
Just a little side note for your buddy, Have him get a good gun smith to check the chamber for rust and pits.
The 742, 740, Model fours, and all the rest of those JammOmatics got there bad rap because the chambers were so prone to rust.
I am not trying to be a downer but there is no reason to through good money at something that can't be fixed or is going to start giveing you problems.
Just so you know I have a couple good bolt rifles, what some people would call custom. but my most prized rifle is a 742 woods master. No. 1 because it was my Dads, who died when I was about two and No.2 I killed my fist deer with it, a nice little 3 pt. buck, at about the age of 13.
There again not trying to be a bummer but sometimes the old ones are best left the way they are so you can remimber the way thangs were.
Now I know that was more than .2 cents worth. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote