Find
Notify
Tools

types of remy ADL stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I have a remington ADL that is my primary big game rifle. I have several others that have a slight drop to the comb on the rear of the stock, they are my CZ carbine and my model 88. These rifles fit me like a glove, They point and balance way better and seem more apt to putting out a quick shot. My ADL is a mid 80's vintage with the regular monte carlo stock. So my question is are any stocks with just a little drop to them available for my ADL

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, there sure are, but you are going to have to specify a certain amount of "drop at heel".
You will find that most American stocks have very little drop at heel and most European stocks like the LUX version of the CZ have about an inch. You will also note that CZ sells models with American style stocks that have little if any drop at heel. For bench use most people prefer little or no drop at heel. For purely offhand use I like about an inch or so drop at heel. It is definitely a personal preference. And to confuse things, the cheek piece dimensions are a separate issue. So, you have a lot of decisions to make regarding drop at heel, comb height, cheek piece or not, stock suited for bench use or offhand, stock suited to iron sights or scope use, etc.

If you have an old junk stock for your ADL, carve down the stock to produce some drop at heel and see if you like it. You can get a stock made to your dimensions but it will cost. Another option is to get a blank that has a lot of excess wood, sometimes called a stock makers stock. It will be inletted but will generally have a big butt stock that could be used as a canoe paddle. The extra wood is there for you to do your own carving to your own dimensions.

Here's another thought for your ADL, look around and find an old stock from a 721 or 722 remington (short or long action). These were set up for iron sights and generally had some drop at heel and a low comb. One of these might suit you. A little fiddling and your ADL action will function in the old stock.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
The stock on the gun is actually a nice walnut with a good satin finish to it so I would not wanna mess it up. I would like if possible to use a remington take off stock so it would cost less and be less hassle.

The idea of the 721 stock sounds good, what kind of work would the 721 stock need to fit my 700LA. also about how much drop at the heel does a typical 721 stock have??

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote