Find
Notify
Tools

Pillar bedding question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
I have a Rem700 in 223 that was made in 1970. It has a Rem factory plastic stock that is probably original although I don't know since I bought the rifle used. I replaced the factory barrel with a Douglas, trued the action and swapped scopes and it shot about 1.5MOA. I glass bedded it and it now shoots about 1MOA which make it the least accurate M700 I own. Even for a coyote gun I feel this is marginal and am considering pillar bedding.
My question is do you feel it is worth buying a set of pillars and bedding it or should I just toss the stock and buy a replacement?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I can only tell you what I would do if it were mine. I would toss the factory plastic stock and get something worthy of the epoxy. And, that's not the factory stock.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can only tell you what I would do if it were mine. I would toss the factory plastic stock and get something worthy of the epoxy. And, that's not the factory stock

+1 tu2 You've spent a lot of $$ on this rifle. I would stop spending time and $$ on that factory plastic stock.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might I suggest something which won't break the bank ,an it sounds as if you're handy ,so shouldn't represent any problems for you .
As I'm assuming function over exhibition is preferable in this project .

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/...ton-Rifles-s/166.htm

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/...gton-Rifles-s/42.htm

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/...r-Remington-s/57.htm

Or Stocky's ?

http://www.stockysstocks.com/s...d-rifle-stock/Detail

http://www.stockysstocks.com/s...son-Carbelite/Detail

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First time I have to disagree with you doc. Stockysstocks are so fugly they make the paislies JUMP jump off of my 4 and 1/2 inch wide ties from 1972.

McMillan
Manners Carbon Fiber
HS Precision (they still need to be bedded)

You will be well pleased.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience with Hogue rifle stocks but thought I might go that route.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If you have to open the barrel channel or change the LOP/pad it can be a little frustrating working with a "rubber" skin.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have to open the barrel channel or change the LOP/pad it can be a little frustrating working with a "rubber" skin

I agree however I have one on my #4 contour Douglas and it required no channel work. The LOP is fine for me. About 13.75 with a mauser.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The barrel is a factory contour and since this rifle will spend a lot of time in the truck or the ATV, Hogue may be the way to go.

Thanks for your input.

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
First time I have to disagree with you doc. Stockysstocks are so fugly they make the paislies JUMP jump off of my 4 and 1/2 inch wide ties from 1972.

John I believe those are now in vogue fugly is dollars in others pockets !. Never seen nor purchased a Stocky stock that's why I place the ? mark beside it !.

Be well an prosper medic . tu2 No worries people have been disagreeing with me for years ,look at the last election !!!!!!!!!!!!! Eeker

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote