Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser GEHA question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mehul- If you want a nice smooth operating slug gun, get a
Savage 210 bolt action 12 ga.Will take 3 in magnums.Comes with rail for scope,and also there is a smoothbore model.The
Mausers if original wouldn't be bored for 3 in length.
Cost about 400 bucks.I am setting up a 210 action with heavy
barrel to test 12GA FH, this winter.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I have only seen a few of these, they were made in the 30's. They have a seperate bolt head that can get
lost. The gun will still fire but probably with some fire works as the gas handling has been effected by
cutting the locking lugs off. There are a lot of bolt action shotguns around, most are not pretty but they
all shoot safely.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, friends for the opinions. I shall give the GEHAs a pass for now. Hopefully, either during the course of the week or at the latest by this weekend I'll go over to the two major gun shops here and pick a rifled barrel shotgun up for this year.

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
how much im interested

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought myself a Mauser rifle but find that other than Shawano, there is probably no part of Wisconsin where I may be able to hunt deer with a rifle. Since this is mostly a shotgun state, I wondered if I could buy a Mauser GEHA shotgun in 12 or 16 gauge as I have seen a few and they are available cheap and in what appears to my very amateur eye, decent shape.

I would request the opinions of the expert members on these shotguns. Buying one would get me a shotgun that would be similar to my rifle and I am familiar with the Mauser rifle to the extent that someone who is as clumsy as I am could get. But I wonder with all the technical discussions on cartridge sizes etc whether this would be a safe gun to buy and whether I should indeed go ahead and buy one for the $ 200 or so that they are available or spend more and buy a dedicated deer shotgun or a good black powder rifle (another long standing dream of mine.)

Thanks in advance for your opinions and Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the fact that no one has replied must be either a "thumbs up - it's a good gun to buy" or "don't go nearer than a barge pole's length." Still don't know which one it is, but I guess I'll go for a used black powder 50 cal percussion rifle now. There are a few available cheap at Scheels and Gander Mountain here.

Good hunting, everyone!

one of us
posted Hide Post
cant tell you if they are safe or not but if you do want one i have the cleanest one in the country let me know..

paul

Posts: 78 | Location: massachusetts,USA | Registered: 19 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just do not like the 12 Ga Mauser shotguns. If you live near a "Walmart" store you might want to look at the CVA inline .50 cal. Muzzleloader with one in 28 twist rifling. A friend of mine has one & it is very accurate with Sabots and Jacketed .430 Pistol bullets. Another friend an inline .50 cal CVA (also from Walmart) with a slower twist that does quite well with both Saboted Pistol Bullets and patched ball, but not quite as good as the one with one in 28 twist with the saboted pistol bullets. Both of these rifles have "shot better groups" than much more expensive rifles.
The Mossberg 12 Ga pump shotguns with a rifled bore and the scope mount base attached to the barrel and extending back over the receiver are usually accurate and low cost. You can then get a smoothe bore barrel with screw in chokes and have a wery practical all purpose shotgun. At one time they offered a "Combo" set that came as a package with both the rifled and smoothe bore barrels. A Remington shotgun can be outfitted in a similar manner at a higher price.

Posts: 33 | Location: United States | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote