New
Find
Notify
Tools

opinions about a stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for opinions about the Richard's Microfit "Thumbhole Target" stock. Anybody ever shot one? How do they fit an average-build guy? I have big hands; how does the thumbhole fit you fellow big-hand guys? I also like those thumbholes on the Howa 1500 guns, but I don't see where they are available for lefties (my shooting, not my politics) like me.

[ 07-12-2003, 19:52: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
Looking for opinions about the Richard's Microfit "Thumbhole Target" stock. Anybody ever shot one? How do they fit an average-build guy? I have big hands; how does the thumbhole fit you fellow big-hand guys? I also like those thumbholes on the Howa 1500 guns, but I don't see where they are available for lefties (my shooting, not my politics) like me.

I've been using Richards since 1971 Good prices and good stocks. Anything you don't like you can send back.

These are not drop in, sand and finish stocks. Plenty of wood for you to do what you like.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Richards stocks for over 30 years and had a 22-250 on a mauser with the thumbhole stock you're speaking of. My hands are a quite large with my ring finger taking a size 13 ring. The thumbhole stock worked just fine with no cramping. It was very comfortable. Some have said Richards was poor quality but I've not had any bad experiences with their products...

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wallyw:
Thank you for your reply. You say they are not "drop-in, sand and finish" stocks. Do you mean to say that they are not drop-in stocks, but that the user must first chip out a bit of wood to fit the action, then sand and finish it to his liking? I certainly don't want to order something that is not inletted at all or at least is not inletted to the point that I can about get the barrelled action into it and start whittling out any offending wood from there. About the stocks that are 1/16" oversize inletted: what takes up the extra space? I am guessing the bedding compound, but what if I only want to bed the cylindrical portion of the barrel right at the breech end and clearance the barrel channel about 1/16" all around? Oh, so much I need to learn; so much I want to know...

Thanks for your input gunnut69; you have answered the most pressing question.

Just thinking: If the Framers had written "...free state and the right...," the liberals would be forever at Square One in their efforts to take our guns. They were highly educated men and erroneously believed that everyone would understand what they wrote. They omitted the word "and" because to them it was obvious that being in a militia required the people to own and use firearms. I also think they looked at the being necessary and the right as a listing, and omitted the "and" because it was obvious it was a listing. It may have just been a way they wrote and spoke in those days; I don't know. Any thoughts?

[ 07-12-2003, 21:56: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
wallyw:
Thank you for your reply. You say they are not "drop-in, sand and finish" stocks. Do you mean to say that they are not drop-in stocks, but that the user must first chip out a bit of wood to fit the action,

Yes you will need inletting black and scrapers. There is enough wood for a good inletting job but it will take some time /patience.

Richards also sells shaped stocks that are not inletted. Lets you keep some on hand for what ever comes up.

Another thing I find attractive about Richard's is their low priced flawed stocks. Usually some little defect that can be corrected with some creativity.

quote:

Just thinking: If the Framers had written "...free state and the right...," the liberals would be forever at Square One in their efforts to take our guns. They were highly educated men and erroneously believed that everyone would understand what they wrote. They omitted the word "and" because to them it was obvious that being in a militia required the people to own and use firearms. I also think they looked at the being necessary and the right as a listing, and omitted the "and" because it was obvious it was a listing. It may have just been a way they wrote and spoke in those days; I don't know. Any thoughts?

The Framers gave us a tightly written constitution. Unfortunately the generations since have so corrupted the language as to put our Republic in danger. Liberals and Conservatives both refer to our Republic as a democracy, something the Founding Fathers most definitely wanted to avoid.

democracy:

three wolves and a lamb deciding on supper.

Wally

[ 07-13-2003, 00:53: Message edited by: wallyw ]

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wallyw:
Richard's doesn't sell its seconds and defects stocks in lefthand or target styles-- I'm screwed again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Richard's stocks I've gotten always had lots of wood to remove - inletting and exterior shaping. If you don't mind work, they're great because you can shape them in many ways. I've not used a thumbhole (they feel clumsy to me)but have used the rollover for four rifles. For a little extra money they will leave extra wood where ever you want it - I have a big comb, for instance, on a rifle with a big scope. They will also supply the tip and gripcap separatly for you to install the way you want.

I always get the fanciest wood I can afford. After investing months of labor on a special project, it sure seems like false economy to have a standard grade stock.

Here are two tips for your first stock:

1. Plan and cut the stock dimentions carefully-length of butt & fore end, grip, comb, and pitch.

2. All your surfaces and lines should be straight or a smooth radus. Don't freehand it, use straight edges and cardboard radii to get it right.
Good luck!

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ordered my Thumbhole Target stock by mail on July 14; don't expect to see it until sometime near Halloween at best. Ordered it with inletting 1/16" oversize as I will be glas-bedding the action. I hope I've done the right thing. I'm thinking I'm going to paint it a high white and add those bullet hole decals in various places that will afford them to be seen easily. Maybe a nice robin's egg blue, like on the 1957 Chevy BelAir and the bullet holes. Any objections?

[ 07-19-2003, 20:55: Message edited by: rootbeer ]