New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed. I got a big problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a 722 extractor for a 223 bolt face. Factory modle. This is the snap in type not the newer riveted. The ones brownells have will not work. Anybody having one or knowing where one is at I would greatly appreciate. Two smith are telling me the barrel will MOST LIKELY need set back and reheadspaced. I do not have the reamer and it is a wildcat. The barrel now is as short as it can be so a rechamber with another reamer is not an option. Please help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, I am not looking for a freebee looking to pay what ever it is worth plus shipping and what ever the PIA factor is. Posted here hoping a smith had one laying on a bench somewheres.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blueprinted:
Looking for a 722 extractor for a 223 bolt face. Factory modle. This is the snap in type not the newer riveted. The ones brownells have will not work. Anybody having one or knowing where one is at I would greatly appreciate. Two smith are telling me the barrel will MOST LIKELY need set back and reheadspaced. I do not have the reamer and it is a wildcat. The barrel now is as short as it can be so a rechamber with another reamer is not an option. Please help.

Can you convert it to Sako extr. or even modify the bolt face to take the riveted extractor? What does the headspace have to do with it? Did I miss something?

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong but the way it was explained to me the bolt has to faced to put a Sako in, leaving the rear of the case unsupported. I do not think you could convert it to a rivited type.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blueprinted:
I could be wrong but the way it was explained to me the bolt has to faced to put a Sako in, leaving the rear of the case unsupported. I do not think you could convert it to a rivited type.

No, the bolt doesn't have to be faced to install a Sako type. At the most a ring will need to be made and soldered inside the bolt nose to fill the areas where the original extractor sat so there are no edges or "lips" to catch the rim and interfere with ejection.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If it is a "wildcat" why not fireform brass instead of setting back the barrel? By their nature "wildcats" don't always follow normal conventions on headspace.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westpac is correct on this one. There is no need to face off the bolt or the barrel nor do you need to set it back. I have done literally hundreds of these conversions to Remington bolts. If done "correctly" it is a better fix than the original. I may be wrong here,but I didn't think the 722 had a snap-in extractor; I thought they were all riveted.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The 72X actions had an extractor that snapped into groove inside the bolt nose and was kept in place by the ejector.

I'm with Jim, all my Remingtons have the SAKO style extractor and none of them had the bolt faced off. That is a totally unnecessary operation. The idea of boring the outer periphery of the bolt and cementing/sweating a ring to bring it to diameter is a great idea and will aid ejection.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try www.jackfirst.com he might have one. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Westpac is correct on this one.

Just this one??? Big Grin

I just did a 722 and it's an ignorant little snap in. Thank God for dental picks! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote