New
Find
Notify
Tools

M700 Extractor Replace
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A couple of months ago I broke an extractor in my M700 and need to get it repaired. This is an old rifle that was bought in 1972-73. This rifle is chambered in 270 Win. Does anyone have any ideas as to who can do this work?
I live in SW Wyoming and I don't personally know any gunsmiths in this area. How about the Salt Lake area?
Thanks and Regards
Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Tom wants to do it. He's just really shy! Poke him with a sharp stick.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ha, I had to learn how to do it, and make the little anvil that Rod showed me how make, so I could mass produce Rem extractors.
So, yes, I can do them.
It's the "in Salt Lake area" that is the thing, but the US mail comes here every day. Sometimes twice.
I cheated on a couple though, and put Sako extractors on them.

Posts: 17266 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
If you are interested in the job how can I contact you?

Regards

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you do a 721?

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
721s can be reclaimed by locating and drilling a hole for the 700 extractor. I haven't done one in a few years and it takes a bit of monkeying around but it can be done. They can also be sleeved and a Sako type extractor put in. The simplest method is to install a 700 bolt.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never did a 721. But do one of the options Speer says above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the reply. My 721 extractor is still good but I've worried for years that it will eventually break. I did not know the bolt could be drilled for the Mod 700 rivet. I think I like that better than the Sako or M16 extractor conversion.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote