Find
Notify
Tools

Spanner Wrench for Talley Crossbolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Where can I get a spanner wrench for a Talley Crossbolt or a driver for a screwdriver?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3068 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless there's something new...just a torx head (hardware store) acvailable as a handled driver

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Duane

You had me scratching my head!

He is looking for a spanner wrench for a Talley cross bolt as you would fit at the recoil lug of a big bore stock.

Austin Hunter
I have never seen a spanner that is made for the talley cross bolt. I would think it would be pretty easy to make one by drilling a piece of flat iron and pressing two pins in. I say that it would be easy, but I have two talley cross bolts that I have never used because I can't find a spanner to fit them.....
Wink

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me one of the cross bolts and I will make you one out of a 3/8 bolt. Pretty simple to do, just measure the center distance of the holes, the diameter, and go to it.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just shows I can read reading but not read writing! Sorry...Talley bases were on my mind I guess.

I made an effetive spanner using one of the heads and soldering in two pins after welding a shaft to form something like a screwdriver

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

I made an effetive spanner using one of the heads and soldering in two pins after welding a shaft to form something like a screwdriver

Holy smokes! That is pure genius!

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael_Greene
posted Hide Post
With a "OLD" Nut Driver a broken #41 drill bit
(I think) and some epoxy you are in business.

Riflebuilders.com
Michael Greene

Posts: 50 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael_Greene
posted Hide Post
CORRECTION:
That is a #47 NOT a #41.

M. Greene

Posts: 50 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Also, Wheeler includes one in their big screwdriver/bit set.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13508 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Or you can buy one from Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...98_CROSS_BOLT_WRENCH or Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=883754

Don
Those are for the Mauser military cross bolt. I am pretty sure they won't work on a Talley cross bolt as the Talley is shorter CTC IIRC.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have the big Wheeler set and the mauser bit does not fit. Is there another size?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3068 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McMaster-Carr has bits you can buy. I would suspect that Grainger. Lawson, & MSC can get them for you too.

Spanner Bit

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Or you can buy one from Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...98_CROSS_BOLT_WRENCH or Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=883754

Don
Those are for the Mauser military cross bolt. I am pretty sure they won't work on a Talley cross bolt as the Talley is shorter CTC IIRC.

Thanks, never knew that but you're right according to the specs in the site the talley is .010" smaller. Maybe that is why I just ground the middle out of a screw driver when I had to remove one years ago.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote