New
Find
Notify
Tools

new winchester 70 safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have looked at three of the new featherweights. I wouod purchase one except th safetys are so stiff to move on and off that you almost need pliers. Not what I want on a hunting rifle, and not nearly as good as my older model 70s (both classic and p64) Also in spite of th rah rah about the new trigger on the one squeeze I was allowed it did not seem as good as my other guns. Question, what can be done to improve the safety and what can be done to improve the trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got a good response from Redneck on the 24hr site.

If you would post your location, someone might just chime in with some help. Or you could ship it to him or me. It is fixable.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your response. Im from Saskatchewan so dont want the problems of cross border shipping or I would take you up on your offer. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
So Jim, what might the problem be?

I checked the thread on 24HCF, and it seems it was handled in a PM.

I have a LH Mod 70 "Classic Stainless", I just recieved it (bought south of the border & I'm north of it)& although I didnt use vice grips, I cannot get the safty on at all!! Eeker

When I get a little time, I will send it to a 'smith, but I would like to know what causes this & if theres a surefire way to prevent it again.

Once again
Thanks.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Has anyone thought to call Winchester on this. I think they would be concerned if only from a legal standpoint?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem most likely is the firing pin has a burr or was just not fit properly in the first place. Take the firing pin out. Notice there is a small half moon shaped area on the left front edge of the cocking piece (on a right handed gun with the safety on the right side of the bolt sleeve) This area needs stoned a little. Lube well after stoning, reassemble, and try. Go a little at a time. **The reason I did not give instructions on how to disassemble the striker to get the firing pin out is if you don't know how to do that or find that out for yourself, you have no business going in deeper and trying to fix it.** You may also have to remove the saftey switch and inspect it for burrs. Go a little at a time it is hard but not impossible to fix the problem if you take too much material off and the end up with the safety not pulling the firing pin back far enough from the sear. When you get the safety functioning make sure you try to pull the trigger while on SAFE and feel/listen for any metallic click. If this occurs you have removed too much material and I guarantee the gun will fire when you release the Safety without pulling the trigger. This is not a "delicate" repair; there is a lot of adjustment (stoning)from the Safety not engaging to the point of too much material being removed. Don't use power tools, use any flat stone that you would sharpen an knife or chisel etc by hand. Try to keep the angle of the half moon area consistent to the way it is designed.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1619 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cmfic 1,

Most likly someone did some polishing on the sear and cocking piece which goofed up the timing. If too much is taken off the sear and/or the cocking piece, the cocking piece can move too far forward preventing or making it very difficult to put the safety on.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
You got a good response from Redneck on the 24hr site.

If you would post your location, someone might just chime in with some help. Or you could ship it to him or me. It is fixable.

Jim,

I missed what Redneck said over on 24 Hour. What is the problem that he described?
The reason I ask is that I have a new Model 70 on order in 7-08, a Featherweight.

Thanks,

Don Buckbee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he pretty much said leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

The problem is as described above and should be looked at by a qualified smith. Not a rocket scientist but someone who knows what to do.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why, when someone purchases a new rifle that has a problem from the factory, do they go and pay a smith good money to repair? That is nuts. Send the gun back to the factory and let them deal with it...or get a refund. When you buy a new car, do you take it to the local garage to get repaired while its under a factory warranty? Of course not!

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I agree, contact Winchester. The local chain store has two of them in stock. I will check the Safety on them the next time I go. I have a .308 on order. Winchester is supposed to ship short action Cal. in March & June

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
Has anyone thought to call Winchester on this. I think they would be concerned if only from a legal standpoint?

It was explained in person and detail to them 2 years ago.................

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...it's like this: I had my knees replaced a couple years ago...surgeon did his job, but..to make them, work I had to go to a physical threapist,,,HAR! everyone has to get a piece of the pie! As my old friend, the 7th generation German gunsmith said..that's just the way what it is! Take it to a good gunsmith for a "tune up"

If you send it back to the factory...sure they'll make it work, but it will still have a "safe" 10 pound pull. If you try to stone it, the safty won't work again...guess you see where I'm going??

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote