Find
Notify
Tools

Help with 96 Mauser safe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted
I have a swedish 96 Mauser with a MarkII safety.I can pull the bolt back several times and fire the trigger and everything works fine but every now and then the safety will pop up just enough to catch on the quarter cock slot. Most of the time the safe will reseat itself when it goes into the quarter cock slot smoothly and will cock with no problems. About every fifteen strokes it will bind and I have to double palm the bolt before it will cock. The safe will pop up after trigger is pulled. I've played with this until I'm blind, any suggestions as to why the safe itself is jumping up higher than other times and causing a cycle jam?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine does the same thing. Put that nylon piece in and it makes it worse.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark 2 safeties are apparently reknowned for going loose when the nylon button that is supposed to hold their tension wears/compresses. The fix is to replace the button with a small spring like the Beuhler safeties used.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or...convert it to a two position one that is fail-safe.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5520 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or...convert it to a two position one that is fail-safe.

I dont know how much the spring or nylon peice has much to do with the safe itselfe, instructions says its just to keep it from rattling around! Roll Eyes

I did put in a beefier spring and helped some but would still hang every now and then. Put it off to the side for a little bit because it was pissing me off. I put this gun together for a customer 15 years ago, and this just started doing this. It was a cheap build that he wanted to give to his brother, 15 yrs and cheap, and no problems until now! Big Grin

Anyway, Friday, got to thinking and I did just as Mr Kobe said above and turned it to a 2 pos, safe. It works just fine this way and come to find out they never used the quarter cock slot anyway.

Thank you all for your responce, "Sometimes you can't see the forrest from the trees or until a Pine cone hits you on the head!" homer

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote