Find
Notify
Tools

Rifleman's Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
I have a bit of a rub going on another forum and thought I'd come to the experts here for resolve.

The issue in question is what constitutes the "Rifleman's Rifle". One of us contends that this is the Win model 70 (specifically any and all model 70's) while the other contends that this designation was a magazine catch phrase specifically aimed at the pre '64 model 70.

Question:
What say you? New and old? Old only? All of 'em?

Choices:
Only the pre '64 is referred to by this title
All model 70's are the "rifleman's rifle"
both old and newer CRF model 70's take the title.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
referring to anything but the old model is like categorizing that ugly little four door 4-banger shitebox Chrysler sold in the 'eighties with the Shelby nameplate on it alongside the Shelby Cobras and asking to have them put in the registry.
The post sixty-four PF were a piss poor imitation of a Remmie 700.

Rifleman's Rifles have claw extractors...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedWhat does the term mean? stirWhat particular type of riflemen are refered to? bewilderedAre we just thinking of what the author had intended in a long ago written article in a magazine? homer If there were such a thing would it necessarily have it's origin in the USA? In what country at what time and in what cartridge? shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche,

some things you just know what they mean.

When I say Shelby Cobra, what do you visualize?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as i recall it the phrase was a part of their advertising back in the 50's

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
That phrase refers to the pre 64 Winchester 70.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it was the title of a book by Roger Rule, specifically about the pre-64 M70 and no other. So, in one sense it IS simply advertising hype but OTOH it's also a phrase that refers specifically to only the pre-64 claw-extractor M70 and no other.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I thought Jack O'Conner coined the term in regards to the Model 70.

But the Rifleman's rifle was a Winchester 1892.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
AR-15 /thread.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Rule coined the phrase.

But I prefer Whelen's formulation: Only accurate rifles are interesting.

So, the question becomes: Is it accurate?

And I would add: Is it reliable?

If so, then it's a rifleman's rifle.

The Winchester Model 70 has been those things over many, many years.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13483 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your thoughts. Personally, I consider the "rifleman's rifle" to be the pre '64.

The other guy had made the blanket statement that all Model 70's were the Rifleman's rifle, and I simply wanted to clarify things, as I'd never heard them all given that particular handle. He later claimed that he'd never said he meant all of them and was only referring to the CRF models. Not a big thing either way, I was just curious how most other felt, and I'm glad that ya'll vindicated my position. Thanks

Daniel

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I've got Rule's book and voted for only Pre 64, or at least in factory guns. Truly though I think it should be only < 1950 Cloverleafs!

I only have one non cloverleaf pre 64 rifle, one transition and 4 Pre Wars and a couple cloverleaf long actions somewhere.

As far as classics go, factory guns (CRF ONLY) do not count. The only modern ones I'd consider Rifleman's Rifles are those taken apart/blueprinted and rebuilt by the gurus.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Riflemans's Rifle" was a term coined by Winchester" (I'm old enough to remember)...WAYYYY before l964!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
"Riflemans's Rifle" was a term coined by Winchester" (I'm old enough to remember)...WAYYYY before l964!

+1.

Duane is dead right. Winchester full page magazine ads had that emblazoned on them at least as early as the '50s. And until 1964 we all believed it, too! Smiler

Some of us now still can't believe they had the gall to even call the '64 to '68 M70 rifles "Winchesters". Roll Eyes Mad horse Wink

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1964-1968 Should have been called "Crapchester's" I will say, some were very accurate, but damned ugly!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
I thought Jack O'Conner coined the term in regards to the Model 70.

Well then...Heres' my custom Pre64 in Jack's favorite caliber:

SEE:

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerMy problem is if I had something that gorgious I'd never take it out of the house. Really great ,Ray beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
EekerMy problem is if I had something that gorgious I'd never take it out of the house. Really great ,Ray beerroger

I sure understand that! I've certainly had to deal with IT!

My choice is to hunt with it.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote