Find
Notify
Tools

do i have a short-throated 6.5C?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted
So I have a T/C Dimension.... Finally got the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

using 2 different methods, my coal seems to be only ~2.600" instead of the saami spec'd 2.825"

with 130 gr Accubonds...

with my hornady oal gauge i get to the lands ~2.596" consistently.

with a 1x fired partially neck sized empty case, with the bullet barely seated, and me jamming it in there and closing the bolt; it comes out 2.604".

I have emailed TC about this, as i get a pretty compressed load even using a mild load of RL 16 and Varget. I want to be able to seat these bullets out close to the spec but not have to jam it to the lands.

anyone else run into a similar situation? am i missing something that i am screwing up?

to be clear, my measured COALs is from cartridge base to bullet tip, not the ogive.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it. Short throat. If you mean Creedmoor, the reamer I have makes very long throats.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
I mean creedmoor, thank you. edited to fix.

Hopefully T/C will take care of it for me, if not i may be sending you a barrel.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooperjd:
So I have a T/C Dimension.... Finally got the 6.5 C barrel.

using 2 different methods, my coal seems to be only ~2.600" instead of the saami spec'd 2.825"

with 130 gr Accubonds...

with my hornady oal gauge i get to the lands ~2.596" consistently.

with a 1x fired partially neck sized empty case, with the bullet barely seated, and me jamming it in there and closing the bolt; it comes out 2.604".

I have emailed TC about this, as i get a pretty compressed load even using a mild load of RL 16 and Varget. I want to be able to seat these bullets out close to the spec but not have to jam it to the lands.

anyone else run into a similar situation? am i missing something that i am screwing up?

to be clear, my measured COALs is from cartridge base to bullet tip, not the ogive.

Well, maximum overall length is established so that the ammo will fit into the action it was designed for. You can't accidentally make a throat to short as the throat is built right into the reamer. So if it's short, it was made that way on purpose. There is no law that's says they can't be shorter. Most cartridges actually shoot better with compressed loads too. A lot of the best loads I have had over the years was with the case filled to the top and the bullet simply crunched down on top.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.co...ers/compressed-loads

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
TC just got back to me, they would like me to return the barrel for inspection. So I will update after that.
Speer i have other rifles with compressed loads that do well ('06, 338RUM), but i have to compress the hell out of the creedmoor just to get the bullet jamming into the lands. it's difficult to get it seated much lower so i can play with seating depth off the lands. so far the rifle does not like touching or 10 thou off. we'll see what TC has to say...