Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 reload problem
 Login/Join

posted
I am working up reloads for my Ruger SRH 454 Casull. I am using Starline brass, CCI BR4 primers, H110 powder, and 400 grain Cast Performance LFN bullets. Here is the problem, I am getting a lot of missfires. The fire on the second attempt. Factory ammo as not yet missfired. Any ideas what is wrong? I am posting this on reload, and hand gun forum as well.

Posts: 12 | Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reload 454s in F.A. brass and have never had any problems at all. I do know that if not crimped real well the bullet will sometimes pull a bit on recoil. I have a F.A. single action and can give you no clue as to what might be wrong, other than to try different cases.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are you seating the primers to the bottom of the primer pocket? If not, some of the firing pin's energy may be 'wasted' driving the primer forward.

After the first firing pin strike, have you looked at the primer to see whether it was a good solid hit?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I did check the primers after the first strike and it apeared to be weak. I will have to double check the primer seating as a first step. I hope that is all, I don't want to have to replace the spring.

Thanks George and Bob.

Posts: 12 | Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
rcm,

If your primer seating depth is okay, you may also want to try dropping the hammer on primed cases (no powder, no bullet).

If they're still misfiring, try a different primer like the Federal.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will do. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
RCM,

It is not uncommon for Ruger Redhawks and the Super version to have insufficient firing pin protrusion. If the previous suggestions do not solve the problem entirely you should have a gunsmith who is well versed with revolvers check for correct firing pin protrusion. If this is the case it could be as simple as having the hammer nose refit to the transfer-bar mechanism or a new pin could be in order. I think that Hamilton Bowen sells extra long Ruger firing pins or, of course, Ruger could install a new pin.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote