Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with M1999 Safety
 Login/Join

posted
I purchased a M1999 barrelled action back in the craze. I tossed it in the safe and have been totally distracted and managed to acquire 2 good dogs and a fiance in the time that has passed. +2 -1, still ahead!

I am not a picky person. I did not buy this to spend hundreds on smithing, but the safety is miserable and binding. Down the road I may have somebody make this a top notch rife, but for now it is just a hunter.

Are there any of you that could make suggestions on what needs to be done on this?

Posts: 14 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an occasional glitch on the earlier actions (and some later ones too - but less of those). The problem results from an inaccurate setup between safety cam on the lever relative to the striker and how the striker is positioned when resting on the sear. Easy to fix, but let a gunsmith do it. Or send it back and ask them to. We have some older inventory and see this now and then. It literally is a five minute fix at their shop.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod,

was this problem only on the original LA's or did it also occur on the first run of SA's?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well Rob, Rod....Mine is a SA setup for WSM. If possible I would like to do the work myself if you could describe whats involved.

Posts: 14 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote