THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What could you Rebore/Rechamber a 9x57 to?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted
Noticed a pre-war type B Mauser online with a "shot out" barrel. Beyond the condition of the bore, the gun is in good condition and has an octagon barrel that would be a shame to replace. If one were to retain the original barrel what could this be rebored/rechambered to? And who is currently doing this type of work?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Most folks reboring want to go up at least two calibers, so, it would seem that a .375 would be the smallest you could go to.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
z1r,

Thank you for your response.

To add more detail to my question, is there a period correct cartridge, chambered by Mauser, that this could be rebored/rechambered to?

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I would look to the 9.5x56/57, I believe the chamber will clean up the original. Or, go big and go 10.75x57.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the barrel is not physically damaged, or the lands are not practically gone. I would like to suggest something to you before you send the rifle for reboring if you buy it. Clean that barrel like your life depended on it. Spend a few nights cleaning it. Some “shot out barrels” still have a serviceable life in them. You may not get match rifle accuracy but if it puts it's shots into four (4) inches or less, it is still a good hunting rifle out to two hundred (200) yards or so. And it would be in original condition.
You can make yourself a Homemade Electronic Bore Cleaner, see link below:

http://thisoldrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp

You would be surprised at how much gunk this little gadget gets out after you thought you had a clean barrel.

Then of course you will have to splurge on a die set for 9x57 (not cheap). Try different bullets and powder loads. Who knows you may have a nice shooter in your hands.

Also be careful about reboring, sometimes a barrel is damaged by the process. Don’t remember what the loss rate is but I think is something like 1 in 10?? Talk to a reputable guy on this before you commit to doing it.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I also have a 9x57 cigarette? rifle. Thin barrel at the muzzle. Bad bore. I think the barrel is too thin to rebore.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote