THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

red orange streaks in barrel after cleaning?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When I clean a 30-06 red orange, mostly orange streaks show up in the barrel. I use Hoppes #9 almost always. What is this?

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like copper. Sweet's and Barnes CR-10 work on that. Actually I've switched to Shooter's Choice for my basic cleaning. Apaarently Hoppe's #9 no longer has the effectiveness of years gone by, thanks to the EPA. Then I use Sweet's when I need to get all the copper build up out.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I sure thought Hoppe's and bronze brush would get it out, I get a lot of blue patches before they come out clean and then I let some hoppe's sit in there for about an hour and come back and get a clean patch. Thanks for the reply, I just got rid of that gun today for another, but I am still curious, in case it shows up in another.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted
Just my take on this, but I have taken to using a plastic brush to apply the solvent. I once spent an awful lot of time applying Hoppes Benchrest, and every patch came out green. Of course it turns out the solvent was attacking the bronze brush, and probably using much of the active ingredients in the process (I am half-Irish, so I'm expected to do stupid things like this). Nowadays if I want to leave a barrel to soak, I use a plastic brush to apply the solvent.

Patrick