Find
Notify
Tools

How hard is it to Duracoat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted
Just got a Mossberg 500 Persuader pistol grip shotty on a trade for a used riding mower I paid $50 for. The shotgun is in rough cosmetic shape, guy said he kept it under the seat of his truck for years whiel he was a DNR officer in WV so it took some abuse from the back roads. There is no rusting or pitting and all the bad spots are entirely cosmetic and not into the actual metal.

So im wondering how hard is it to actually duracoat a firearm? Im a pretty good painter for auto body and such. I just Rhino Lined an entire Jeep CJ-7 and have done several wind screens with airbrush work for guys motorcycles.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duracoat is easy to apply. It just does not hold up.

Cerakote is what holds up for a long, long time. With you airbrush and spraying skills, you would have no trouble applying Cerakote. You will need access to a blasting cabinet to prepare the metal for Cerakote application. 120 grit Aluminum Oxide is recommended by the manufacturer. Brownells sells it.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Duracoat's not too bad on a knock around gun. If it wears off, just spray more on. Its like the Krylon from hell. There's better products out there but it'll probably work for what most of us use it for.

My only advice for you is that you do not apply it to any moving parts. There is nothing slick about Duracoat; it will cause parts to bind when you slide Duracoat over Duracoat.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I been using Duracoat for 8 years and never had a problem.People have issues for all the standard reasons. Don't read or follow the directions as usual.You do it right and its a job to sandblast it off

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Hell, what's wrong with Rhino liner? Or Lizard Skin for that matter. Tough as hell!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I have debated on using RHino liner actually...I just recently started playing around with the stuff and its a reall forgiving material thats tough as hell.

I done the bed of my truck first, that turned out so well I done my wheels and now my nerf bars. stuff has been beat on pretty hard and hasn't scratched yet.

I could probably do a cerakote finish, but my probelm would be finding a place where I could use a booth to spray down the shotgun for the prep. So I will probably just try the Duracoat since this is strictly a home defense type of gun that will rarely be shot.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote