THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Ruger Mk 1 in 458 Win Mag - CRF or pushfeed??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ruger Mk 1 in 458 Win Mag - CRF or pushfeed??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted
I have one purchased new in 1982. I have run over 2000 rounds through mine--- never had a jam or misfeed.
The CRF advocates would tell you it is not a true DG rifle. Mine is for me!
I would much rather have the tang safety which is very quick and push feed than the 3-position nightmare type safety on the Winchester or mauser rifles and controlled feeding.
By the way -- I also have a Winchester Classic Custom African from the custom shop in .470 Capstick.
For myself--------The Ruger is my 1st choice on DG. I would not let the fact that it is push feed deter its use. The key in my opinion is to shoot it frequently enough that you are positive that it functions every time, then one can feel confident in the rifle no matter what the engineering on the gun is.
Also, in my case I have Ruger mark 1's in 30-06, 300 WM, and 338 WM -- so the rifle design is one that is second nature as I have been using the tang safety on my primary hunting rifle reguardless of gane from 1978.
By the way--- I quit buying Ruger rifles when they became "wanna be 70's". I figured I might as well buy Winchester rifles and have the origional if I was stuck with that engineering.

Sorry to rant-- but the controlled feeding boys really get my goat sometimes!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
buckeye,

The discussion was whether the action was suitable for a DG caliber, not whether it made a good DGR. There is a difference.

No one with African DG experience mentioned a requirement for CRF for African DG. If DG is not on the menu, the only thing a jam will cost you is the trophy.

Your personal preferences aside, there is nothing wrong with a three-position safety. A person is just as likely to leave a two-position safety in the wrong position as they are a three-position safety. Familiarity with the rifle will prevent most occurrences of that faux pas .

Now, how do you like your .470 Capstick? Have you used it on any game?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLG,

The Mark 1's were push feed actions. For a DGR one wants a true CRF.

If that action has a plunger in the bolt face for an ejector then I would pass on it unless you just want to shoot it for non DGR purposes or use cast bullets etc.

If it has a Mauser type ejector, which I doubt, I would grind off the part of the bolt face and make it a CRF.

Of course the wood and price affect me as well. Some of those old Ruger 458's had the finest wood.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote