Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Notice Anything " Different"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted
OK guys, here is an interesting old rifle that I have had for a number of years. For a little bit of fun, do you notice anything unusual (well, it was unusual to me anyway) about it? I don't know who did the gunsmithing, but it has a Griffen and Howe sidemount. Once it has been posted long enough to get a few responses I will add an additional photo to better show the unusual feature [Wink] .

-

-

-

-

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 264winmag
posted Hide Post
The cheek-piece seems to be located[strange].

Posts: 56 | Location: parts unknown | Registered: 22 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the scope looks like it only has one adjustment on it. is the other adjustment on the mount?...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where is the bolt stop / ejector spring box? The receiver sight is mounted on it?

I can't quite decide on the action either -- no thumb slot that I can see, a shadow on the right side of the front ring that looks like the relief projecting out for the extractor ala Springfield, but the shroud looks Mauser-ish.

Todd

[ 05-22-2003, 03:04: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several small things I see: lever on scope mount (quick detachable?), scope seems to be resting on the peep sight, only one turret on scope (as mentioned above) and the cheekpiece seems too far forward to me.

[ 05-22-2003, 03:09: Message edited by: Calif Hunter ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mbogo 3/8, It looks like a pre- "A", If the biz. end of the extractor is flat it is supposed to be. Does it have the 2 piece fire pin?. Most G& H's with the windage in the slide had the knob to the outside. For unusual the 48 looks about one hole forward ( and a new one drilled) The cheekpiece is of the style of Bob Owen -modified by the custom shop-. Bolt handle is early but not the earliest style, Bolt sleeve says that it is not the speedlock. I'm being as cryptic as the pix. Touche. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Addendum The ramp is supposed to have been from 1932 and after. Rebarrel?

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trigger/Trigger Guard

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
This rifle looks like a late Model 54 Wincheter Super Grade, with no forend tip, unusual comb nose fluting, and a slightly different pistol grip curve with non-detachable sling swivel studs. The cheekpiece looks like the original Super Grade style, as does the stock finish. If everything I think I see is factory-original, that's one unusual rifle, and valuable to the right collector.

AD

<t_bob38>
posted
Yep, looks like a Mod. 54 to me too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The scope is off center so that either the scope or the sights can be used.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original rear sight is drifted out and replaced with a blank, the gunsmith installed a receiver sight on the rear receiver bridge to add sight radius. Then the scope is mounted on the side of the receiver, and high, so both sights can be used.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
You guys are pretty good. It is indeed a Winchester Model 54, caliber 30-06. It has a Lyman receiver sight and a G&H sidemount(mounted over the bore-not offset)with an early Zeiss scope. Everything appears to be period work.

The stock also appears to be original, but that is where the unusual part comes in. The cheekpiece was actually added to the stock. It was matched to the rest of the stock for both color and grain structure, and was inletted into the stock. I have seen a fair number of older rifles with cheekpieces added, but they were all fairly obvious. In this case the only visible evidence is a small joint line on the comb (I had to really work to get it to show up in a photo- I found that a little dust along the joint makes it more visible [Wink] ). The rest of the joint is completely camouflaged by the shadow-line around the cheekpiece. All in all, someone did a pretty good job [Big Grin] .

-

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat work! You fooled me.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote