Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel profile.
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Hey

I have a hard time trying to make up my mind. I have to order a barrel for my new project and cande decide on the profile and If I should flute the barrel.
The rifle will be in 300 WBY mag. (Yes I know some will call it an old prehistoric cartridge, but who cares.)

The alternatives are a 4# shilen with no flutes or a 5# Shilen with flutes. The barrel lenght will be 26 inches.

Does any one know how much the difference would be between the barrels in an unfluted condition?

Don't be shy!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate flutes. I don't think they do any good and they look tacky. I don't like cutting flutes.
Flutes look OK on the tactical style rifles because the stocks are ugly too.
I would not go for the fluted barrel. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3764 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fluting is controversial and you'll probably get as many good responses as bad.
Personally the main pro for fluting is faster cooling, so I leave you with this choice. If this is a target rifle you will be popping off many rounds quickly, get the fluting, if this is a hunting rifle that will be shot twice in a row at most, go with no fluting.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Contours #4 and #5 may be pretty heavy. Do you know what the muzzle diameter will be on a 26" barrel?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
JOHAN flutes are just little troughs for snow to settle into. You might consider a number 1400 contour Lothar Walter, about the same profile as the #4 shilen.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
leo

I don't consider #4 or #5 to be heavy. I like rifles with some weight.

Bear Claw, I had one walter Lohtar barrel and it were 110% junk. The twist were changing thru the bore. The bore finish looked like it were made with a grand P'a harvester. The bore were not straight either.

I hate Walter Lothar since that day, Sorry to all of you who likes them.

I have special feelings about flutes. I have rifles of both kinds.

Keep posting your thoughts

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
JOHAN you havn't seen the new ones!

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan, why not go with fluted 4.5 contour?
Do you have a barrel weight max/min?

one of us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN

I have to say like the the other gents�here, stay avay from the flutes. I don�t mind the look on a rifle with flutes though.
The flutes don�t make up for a lot of weigth on a sporter barrel, in my opinion lots of people have them for the looks on a hunting rifle...........

It saves some weigth on a heavy target or benchrest barrel, but not that mutch. In my opinion the wallet notice a bigger change that the scales

Good luck with your project JOHAN!! Ho is doing the gunsmithing on your rifle here in Sweden?

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Caledonian>
posted
The advantage most often advanced for the fluted barrel is added stiffness. This is compared with a full-round barrel of the same weight and therefore slightly smaller diameter. If you're thinking of fluting or not fluting a given barrel, therefore, unfluted is stiffer and heavier.

I can see some point in this if you want the lightest available barrel, but not so much when, as you say, you have an alternative weight available to use instead. Not many people realise how little weight is actually shifted by fluting. By my calculations twenty inches of six-groove fluting, semicircular in cross-section and 1/8in. across, should remove six or seven ounces of metal relative to the same diameter unfluted, and much less relative to the same stiffness. The Steyr Scout, which I personally consider an effective but unlovable rifle, would about half those figures. A lot of fluting, too, is much shallower than semicircular.

The other advantage claimed is faster heat loss to the atmosphere. This might be true in certain very limited applications, but I don't think the ordinarily used hunting rifle is among them. For one thing, the temperature of the barrel's outer surface is only an indirect guide to how much bore erosion you are suffering. Heat can only get into the barrel during the extremely brief travel of the bullet down the bore, which means that all the heat a barrel receives per shot, enough to warm it slightly, was at one time concentrated in a paper-thin layer of steel. This layer was once very hot indeed, and erosion is mainly due to microscopic cracking caused by the difference in temperature between this and the bulk of the barrel. Different patterns of firing are far more important than anything we can do to the outer surface of the barrel.

I think really well-done fluting is far less harmful than inferior work, which seems likely as more and more people get in on the act. It certainly gives more chance for something to go wrong, and there are pitfalls even if the metal is perfectly concentric. Doug Shilen and no doubt other barrelmakers recommend against fluting, and often regard it as voiding their guarantee. the main reason is that it can cause assymmetrical liberation of built-in stresses. Barrels have been known to become very slightly hexagonal in the bore, with six-groove fluting, which interacts quite excessively interesting with the spiral of the rifling.

I'd guess cryogenic stress relief to be much more useful than with other barrels, and the chances of trouble are probably greater with button-rifling than cut, and extreme with hammer-forged. The ideal sequence would be to drill and profile the bar before fluting, flute it, then ream it into a true cylinder and finally cut-rifle. That more or less demands you have it done by a barrelmaker.

<JOHAN>
posted
Dear Riflenuts

I have made up my mind. The barrel will be a #5 Shilen from Border with no cooling devices as flutes. Border can deliver the barrel faster if I order without flutees.

If the Rifle get heavy I have too pump some more Iron at the Gym.

The larger profile would make the rifle easier to shoot and perhaps get better accuracy.

Cheers
JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
Dear Riflenuts

I have made up my mind. The barrel will be a #5 Shilen from Border with no cooling devices as flutes. Border can deliver the barrel faster if I order without flutees.

If the Rifle get heavy I have too pump some more Iron at the Gym.

The larger profile would make the rifle easier to shoot and perhaps get better accuracy.

Cheers
JOHAN

For some years I have pondered sleeving all but the chamber of a barrel with an aluminum tube. Greater crossectional area, less weight and natural heatsink. Anyone seen this tried?

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Caledonian>
posted
Only in the Lewis gun, and that was a finned radiator. I've heard it suggested that a thin steel liner could be shrink-fitted into aan aluminium barrel, and no doubt this has been done sometime. The snag is that steel and aluminium have different coefficients of expansion, and would creep lengthwise, relative to one another. They are unlikely to do it consistently either, but in fits and starts, like the San Andreas Fault.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WallyW,

I think the Dan Wesson line of revolvers does something along these lines with their barrels, but I am not sure.

You could always try out one of the Christenson Arms graphite/carbon fiber wrapped barrels.

------------------
I know the next rifle will be perfect.......

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've a .338 Win Mag on order from Lothar Walther and opted for the # 1450 profile (it's called the "super magnum sporter").

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote