New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel replacement with a takeoff
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just found a new takeoff barrel to replace my existing burned up barrel on a 17 Rem. Since this is a factory barrel, is it just a one for one swap, or does the gunsmith have to do anything special to fit the new barrel on the receiver (i.e. headspace it, alignment, etc)? How much should I expect to pay to have a gunsmith change barrels out for me?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrel needs to be fitted by soeone competent, normally a gunsmith who has the tools to do the job. It simply cannot be screwed on without checking to make sure the headspaceis correct. I normally charge $65-$95 depending on the the complexity of the job.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
jethro--

Jim got it right.

I wish I knew you were looking for a 17 Rem Barrel. I have one that's never had a round down it that's been hauled to more gunshows than I can remember.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is the only one you are going to do, then find a gunsmith and have them do it for you. The fee is not much. If you are going to do it a lot, then buy the tools from Midway and you can change the barrel and check the headspace yourself for about $100. Then you only need to go to the smith if the headspace is not right. I have two Remingtons that I have different barrels headspaced for and can change them when I need to. In fact I am getting a third barrel for one of them right now. They all shoot 1" Of course, I am hedging my bet because the current barrels are 243 and 308 and the new one is 22-250. If those don't shoot, something's wrong.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk,

Drop me an email. I would like to hear more about the 17 rem barrel you have.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote