Find
Notify
Tools

600 grit for scope mounting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted
Is it still a recommended practice to add a little 600 grit to the tube when mounting a scope to a Big Bore rifle? If so, what caliber do you start?

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
You could, but why not use rosin?

I believe RIP and others have had good luck with silicon.

I have used a tiny drop of locktite on the bottom ring. I don't know if it did any good, but the scope did not move.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If your rings are lapped I would think it shouldn't be needed. But I don't have a true big bore rifle.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Ted, I have Kimber QR rings; I added 600 grit as recommended in an article I read when I mounted my 1.5x5 Leupy years ago, never had it slip; same article recommended LocTite, just wondering if adding grit to embed in the tube is a good idea since LocTite is no longer favored by some of the more respected gunsmith's on AR

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Cromwell recommended "Liquid electricians' tape" Really works and no damage to anything

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Duane, what calibers do you use it on?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use it on anything, but I'm sure to use it on any heavy kickers.

If you remember the Buehler rings? They had a coating inside.?.kind of similar to this product. As you know, those rings held "anything you could shoot from the shoulder"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it sure sounds easier than scraping the grit off the paper & getting to stick on the tube beer

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Thanks, it sure sounds easier than scraping the grit off the paper & getting to stick on the tube

Just think if you add some 600 grit the the liquid electrical tape.... No problem getting the grit to stay where you want it.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In his Powder Keg column several years ago, Ross Seyfried recommended using a 3M product called Scotchcoat. I have used it on a few rifles and it works quite well.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
same article recommended LocTite, just wondering if adding grit to embed in the tube is a good idea since LocTite is no longer favored by some of the more respected gunsmith's on AR

Before doing anything drastic, I would first ream and true the rings to make sure there was full contact with the scope tube, and then if I felt I needed more than that, I would use a little loctite on the tube. Tube only! Anyone who would affirm the use of an abrasive between the tube and the ring, while at the same time object to the use of loctite for the same purpose doesn't have much of a "grip" on the problem. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no pro but I have lapped rings and then coated the interior with plain rubber cement. Haven't had one shift...yet.

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scothcoat is the cure. Use some Goof Off to clean up after tightening the clamping screws. Worked great on my 450 Dakota.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote