THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre-64 express action & little Leupolds....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up a little Leupold VX-1 2x7x33 for a young man's Xmas present. Puttin' it on his '06.

After installing the scope and zeroing the rifle, I found myself quite impressed with the little scope. Kind of a pretty optic, too.

Went back to the venomous WallyWorld and bought another one. Thought I'd try it on my pre-64 M70 375 H&H. Wrong! The scope tube is too short for my Talley rings/bases. Stopped out at Talley's shop and they couldn't help me. Sorta surprised me.

Anyway, I can't be the only guy with one of these little Leupolds and a pre-64 express action. Obviously, I need an extension base to get the ring spacing short enough for the scope.

What are some of you using for this application? I don't want aluminum bases which rules out the Weavers. I can't find a listing for their steel Grand Slam bases for the pre-64 express, only their standard aluminum pieces.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get Redfields, Buehlers with extension bases (two piece), Maybe Leupolds?

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that a 1x Talley front base should net you the length, they will for sure on the current classic Mdl. 70, and they are just a tad longer than the true pre - 64.

Did you speak with Gary or Dave at Talley? If not I would check with them.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have the 1X in place and it misses the Leupold by 3/16". Damn!

I'm going to pull the base and go back to their shop tomorrow and check it physically. I remember Dave telling me that they had mis-stamped a run of bases a fw years ago and he said getting that sorted out was a bunch of fun!

If the Talleys don't work out I'll put the Zeiss back on the old H&H. That would give me a good excuse to try the Leupold on a Ruger 500NE. A friend of mine is a surgeon and he insists he can remove the scope from my skull without damaging the optics

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes,

That is a tuff one to figure out. I have a 2.5 x 8 on a 375 length using the 1x, and I thought that one was the shortest tube, my buddy has the 2 x 7 on a 375 using the 1x, but these are the current Mdl. 70, that was my best guess.

HBH