New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Firing pin question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was given a David Tubbs firing pin for a 98 mauser. Really bored today so I thought I'd take a swing at fitting it. After examining the existing pin in my rifle, it appears that the forward travel of the pin is stopped by the little shoulder nearest to the end of the pin. The Tubbs pin looks like it intends for the big shoulder (about 1-3/4" back from the end of the pin) to stop travel. Can anyone tell me which is the correct limiting surface?

Thanks....

<JBelk>
posted
cgdavid--

The front of the cocking piece strikes the inner recess of the bolt shroud.....that's the forward limit of the firing pin. That's why both parts are heat-treated and won't last if they're not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack's back!!!!!!

Once again the knowlege will trickle down to me.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack.

The firing pin installed easily once you gave me the correct info. The old one looks like it was 'retrofitted' into the bolt body by some oath with a grinder in his shop. It appears the shoulder at the firing pin end was making some contact and taking at least some of the impact. Must not have been too much as I've shot the rifle several thousand times without a problem.

Thanks again....