THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10/22 and 77/22 barrels.. Interchangable??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
For those of you "in the know"....

is a barrel from a Bolt Action 77/22 and one from a 10/22 interchangable??

Thanks in advance guys!

cheers
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I read at rimfire central that the 77/22 barrel has an extra extractor slot and will fit on a 10/22, but the 10/22 will not fit on the 77/22.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Most posters at rimfire central are no helpFrowner

Aftermarket 10/22 barrels do not fit on 10/22s without sanding down the shankFrowner

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Why on earth would you sand the shank down????

Put the reciever in the oven at 275 for 30 minutes and the new barrel will drop right in. Creates a perfect fit and gets every last once of accuracy out of the mating.

If you need to get the barrel back you heat the reciever with a hot air heat gun and the barrel slides right out.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
the shank is longer on the 77/22 and there is an extra extractor slot on the left side. you can lathe it to fit but hard to go back. I use volquartsen 10/22 bbls to make 77/22 supressor guns because of the 1in9 twist that works for the aguila sss 60 gr 22 rimfire ammo.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

You have your answer, my former Butler Creek 14" twist bull stainless 20" become the foundation for my 77/22 bbl. The 10/22 bbl was shipped to Connecticut Precision Chambering and the back end was cut off, reworked, overall shortened bbl to 17" for a very modest fee, chamber cut to zero tolerance to engrave the rifling and MAN you talk about handy and accurate!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wink

To say I was happy is an understatement. To do it again, I'd just use a fluted 20" so it'd lighten the load as my short chump 77/22 is a solid gun, but so short it handles great, yet steadies on hold.

Can you say 1/4-1/2 inch 50 yd groups, 5 shots, and perhaps 10 on the 1/2 inchers, have not had it out in a while with higher powered scope, but get you something with a AO/PA, fine crosshair, and some x's, and you can make some itty bitty groups. Ammo was great.....the WW powerpoints, heard it's hard to find, out of stock and/or may have had a recall also.

BUT, I got 2 bricks long ago and believe it was formerly made in Aussie. They designed it for tough varmints, some/all of this you may know, 40gr at speeds of lighter HP's. Never had seen even mini-mags drop rabbits on the spot at longer ranges and them not jump off into brush until I used PP's. The WW's flattened some, anchoring them on the spot, and never had one leave if I center hit the sitting rabbit.

Anyway, I'd do again a less expensive bbl before going full custom. If you want to compete, I'd spring for a custom Lilja, but my gun for a plinker, paper puncher, kids 22 silhouette fun-10 yr old shoots the bolt like an auto has so much fun, and a field gun.

Good luck.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
6.5BR

My original question came out of the fact that I am trying to figure out what to do with the 2 Ruger 77/22 Magnums I have, one in 17Mag and one in 22 Mag....

The price has gone up so much that I can't sell them, without giving them away...

I was playing with the idea that maybe I could get the barrels off of my 10/22s at times to put on them, and then also see if I could get 22 ammo to feed out of a 22 Mag magazine....

well that bright idea I came up with, while sitting on a log out deerhunting proved to be a flop...

I was wanting to get a 77/22 NON Magnum, and do an interchange barrel set up with a 17 mach 2 and a 22 LR.. so I can use the 25 round mags I have on my 10/22s...

I don't use them for competiton, just varmint shooting and range relaxation...

I don't care for the 10/22s, as I am a bolt action type.. but the 10/22s seem to make the kids happy.. my son loves his with a lefty thumbhole stock on it...

I love my CZ 452, but a 5 round magazine just doesn't cut it when out shooting sage rats with a 22...

I am not ready to go out and shell out $600.00 for a bolt action Ruger that is worth about $300.00... I don't know where Ruger went mental over their prices on the 77/22.. but I am sure their sales nose dived on them.... they must have thougth of Kimber as their competitor in that arena or something stupid like that...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
Why on earth would you sand the shank down????

Put the reciever in the oven at 275 for 30 minutes and the new barrel will drop right in. Creates a perfect fit and gets every last once of accuracy out of the mating.

If you need to get the barrel back you heat the reciever with a hot air heat gun and the barrel slides right out.

That is what is says to do on page 179 of the book:

Here is my review:
quote:
Chapter 1 History and Current versions of the Ruger 10/22 .........................................................................15 pages
Different models sold 1964 to 2005, chronology, pictures, features
Chapter 2 Design Characteristics and Concerns ....................................................................................17 pages
Headspace, rifling, free bore, chambers, crowns, lapping, vibration, lock time, installing a trigger kit
Chapter 3 Ammunition ............................................................................................................29 pages
General comments, Accuracy and Precision, Ammunition selection, a chart of velocities and bullet weights, testing, internal ballistics, external ballistics, concentricity, rim thickness, chart of rim thickness distribution, matching ammunition to the rifle
Chapter 4 Performance with factory rifles .........................................................................................20 pages
Charts of group size vs ammo type vs models tested
Chapter 5 How the 10/22 works ....................................................................................................32 pages
The autoloading action, tools, cautions, disassembly of major components, bolt removal and disassembly, disassembly of the trigger unit [16 pages of excellent photos], removal of factory sights
Chapter 6 Some Basic Operations, Tools, and Techniques........................................................................... 26 pages
What to use to do what [screwdrivers, hammers, drifts, calipers] Smoothing and polishing the metal [sand paper and Dremels] Bluing Steel [cold blue an old scope] Finishing non ferrous metals, finishing wood, cleaning
Chapter 7 Stocks for the Ruger 10/22............................................................................................. 31 pages
[types of stocks, cost of stocks, modifying stocks]
Chapter 8 Barrels for the Ruger 10/22 ............................................................................................12 pages
Factory barrels, changing barrels, installing aftermarket barrels, Accuracy, types of aftermarket barrels, chart of barrel lengths and weights
Chapter 9 Fire control parts .....................................................................................................12 pages
The authors and editors may be unaware that the meaning of the term "Fire Control" is "sights" and not "trigger mechanism", and that would explain why this is a chapter about trigger mechanisms for the 10/22.
Bolt stop, Replacement trigger Assemblies, Hammer and Sear, Magazine release, firing pin [good pictures on how to remove the firing pin], Extractor, High Capacity Magazines,
Chapter 10 Sights for the Ruger 10/22 .............................................................................................38 pages
Open sights, Fiber optic sights, Peep Sights, Zephyr Sights, Scope Characteristics, Scopes for rimfires, Scope mounts and rings, A closer look at some rimfire scopes, Red Dot sights
Chapter 11 Testing some Custom rifles..............................................................................................40 pages
Testing procedures and goals, Results of accuracy testing
Group size vs ammo with A&B barrel, Fajen Stock, Jard trigger, Weaver V-16 scope
Group size vs ammo with Butler creek barrel and stock, Hornet trigger, Leupold 2-7X scope
Group size vs ammo with Butler Creek barrel, Hogue stock, Kidd trigger, V-16 scope
Group size vs ammo with Green Mountain barrel, Cabela's stock, Jard trigger, V-16 scope
Group size vs ammo with Green Mountain barrel, Hogue stock, Kidd trigger, V-16 scope
Group size vs ammo with Jarvis barrel, Hogue stock, Volquartsen trigger, Scheels 4x12 AO scope
Group size vs ammo with Jarvis barrel, modified factory stock, Kidd trigger, V-16 scope
Group size vs ammo with Kidd barrel, Revival stock, Hornet trigger, Leupold 2x7 scope
Group size vs ammo with Lilja barrel, Hogue stock, Volquartsen trigger, Scheels scope
Group size vs ammo with Magnum Research barrel, Bell&Carlson stock, Hornet trigger, Leupold 2x7 scope
Group size vs ammo with Majestic Arms barrel, Hogue stock, V-16 scope
Group size vs ammo with Ranch Products barrel, factory stock, Hornet trigger, Leupold 2x7 scope
Group size vs ammo with Shaw barrel, modified factory stock, Kidd trigger, V16 scope
Group size vs ammo with Shilen blue barrel, Bell&C stock, Kidd trigger, Cabela's pine ridge scope
Group size vs ammo with Shlen Stainless barrel, B&C stock, Hornet trigger, Scheels scope
Group size vs ammo with Tactical Solutions barrel, McMillan Stock, Hornet trigger, Leupold 2x7 scope
Group size vs ammo with Tactial Solutions barrel, Butler Creek Stock, Hornet trigger, Leupold 2x7 scope
Group size vs ammo with Volquartsen barrel, Hogue stock, Volquartsen trigger, Scheels scope
Group size vs ammo with Whistle Pig barrel, Revival stock, Hornet trigger, Leupold 2x7 scope
Summary, Custom 17 Mach 2 rifles,
Group size vs ammo with 17M2 Majestic Arms barrel, B&C stock, factory trigger, 3x9 Sightron scope
Group size vs ammo with 17M2 Magnum Research barrel, B&C stock, Factory trigger, 3x9 sightron scope
Chapter 12 The Ruger 10/22 Magnum..................................................................................................15 pages
Design and cycling, Stocks for the 10/22M, Barrels for the 10/22M, Triggers, Testing the Custom 10/22 Magnum rifles
Group size vs ammo with 10/22M Green Mountain barrel, Hogue stock, trigger modified by Hornet, Sightron 3x9 scope
Group size vs ammo with 10/22M Majestic Arms barrel, Hogue stock, trigger mod by Hornet, Sightron 3x9 scope.
Testing 10/22M converted to 17HRM
Group size vs ammo for 17HMR Butler Creek barrel, Hogue stock, trigger mod by Hornet, Sightron 3x9 scope
A custom 17HRM auto loader from Clark Custom Guns
Chapter 13 Sources for the 10/22 Shopper............................................................................................8 pages

What does it all mean?
You want to buy this book so you will know the effect on your group size caused by different ammo, barrels, triggers, stocks, and scopes. You also want to know how to take your 10/22 apart and change out the parts.

In April, my old $35 10/22 with a Green Mountain fluted stainless barrel was stolen.

I replaced it with a couple nicer 10/22's one in 17M2 Majestic Arms barrel with Lothar Walther liner and Aluminum shroud that can shoot two holes touching before the flyers and jams.

The other one with a Shilen stainless 22LR bull barrel that is better, but I miss my old set up.

I gotta get this junk running right.

I just ordered a 17M2 reamer today.

The 17M2 ammo costs just as much to make as 17HMR, but they are gouging on the 17HMR price right now and discounting the 17M2.

So buy bricks and shoot lots of 17M2 while it is cheap.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Seafire, when I bought my 77/22, it was give/take 300, have not checked prices lately, but my gun is a tack driver, but if it costs 600 for the gun alone, no I would not recommend that either.

A CZ does a great job I hear, and there is always Sako and Anshutz.....'an they SHOOT!'

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:

That is what is says to do on page 179 of the book:

yeah, OK. I read that when I was working for Ruger in NH, you know, the place that makes the 10/22. Lets just say we passed it around the office and got a good chuckle out of it.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are the Ruger barrels loose as a goose in the Ruger receivers and the aftermarket barrels an interference fit?

What things can you remember that were funny about that book?

You know Steven Perniciaro?

Ever think of changing your name to Bob Dylan?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I met Steve during my first interview with Ruger, he had moved onto Remington by the time I hired on. I doubt very much if I would recognize him outside of a firearm related environment and for all know he's moved on from Remington.

The loose factory barrels has to do with ease of manufacturing and still getting the desired accuracy of a semiauto plinker. I made no bones about it when I hired on that the "target" version was a total joke. You can't market a "target" rifle that shoots into 1.5" at 50 yards. That's not a target rifle its a heavy plinker.

All of the testing in that book is based on samples of one. That's not a test. One of the things I've learned over the years of building facory guns is just because you can make it work once, why do you think it will keep on working in production. Or in other words, "Great you did it once, now build me 10,000."

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.