Notify
Tools

Std. weatherby & Ackley
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daveo
posted
I have a stock Weatherby mark V in 280. Rem
Im just woundering if I could have it reamed out to a 280 Ackley?
I have been told that the Weatherby chamber has a longer troat before the rifling, Im not sure if this is so for the std. cartridges they make.
Question is will it be a problem for the conversion.
Thanks for any input in advance.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daveo:
I have a stock Weatherby mark V in 280. Rem
Im just woundering if I could have it reamed out to a 280 Ackley?
I have been told that the Weatherby chamber has a longer troat before the rifling, Im not sure if this is so for the std. cartridges they make.
Question is will it be a problem for the conversion.
Thanks for any input in advance.

The standard caliber (non Weatherby) chamber won't have the famous Weatherby throat so you will be fine. Set barrel back and rechamber.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All factory guns have the potential for super long throats. It's not just a Wby thing. It builds in a margin for safety. Measure your throat and know for sure. Have the smith(not all are smart enough to chamber AI/wildcats so be careful) turn your barrel back far enough that you can cut the new chamber and throat/leade so you can get within .020-.040" of the rifling. You won't lose much in the velocity department.

Be realistic in your expectations. I love my .280 Imp and now that Nosler makes brass there is no pain involved in the process. If you fireform from standard cases use new brass. If it is chambered properly there is no need to seat bullets into the rifling as the case will be held in place at the shoulder/neck junction by a crush-fit. Lots of people don't understand this.

One of Us
Picture of daveo
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or...

You can have a smith chamber it for the Weatherby cartridge, but tell him to cut the throat to fit YOUR handloaded cartridge. Send him a few dummy rounds and you will have a Weatherby case with the ideal throat for your favorite load. Just be sure to make the dummies with the longest round you will use. For example, if you shoot 140 and 160gr Partitions, make the dummy cartridges with the 160gr pill. A lot of guys cut the throat and chamber in 2 operations.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what Wby cartridge you mean. None are available that offer conversion by rechambering only.